Clinical starting and I'm freaking out

Clinical's went well. Had a heartbreaking case with two severely burned kids in critical condition that messed me up for a few days. Even now(that was March 14th) I get choked up thinking about them. I had to remind myself that at that moment they were not kids but pts(even though the other student and I were not allowed to work on them, as it was our first als shift) and could be kids again later. I was told this was "crass" but it worked for me and had I been able to work on them I would have been able to do my job. I fought down the urge to get emotional and held it together fine until we had transfered them to the picu, at which point as the strain started to show. The preceptor got me out of the er for awhile when I got back and I didn't cry till I got home that afternoon. I did get my first iv stick about an hour later. Got my second iv the next day at another clinical and I'm starting to find I actually kinda like being at the other end of the needle as weird as that may sound. I have my third scheduled for the 18th and I can't wait. As my mom said, I went through my "trial by fire" and made it, so now I am certain I'm in the right field. However, I'm in no rush to hit the finish line. I figure I'll take my time getting there and build my confidence(which could still use some work) on the way. I could keep going for hours, but I don't want to bore anyone to peices as I'm sure every person here has been were I am right now, or will be soon. I love to observe how the psyche of people works, and I found out a lot about myself and human nature in general. Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

Edited by Jeepluv77

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be fine. Just do your best to stay calm and listen to what your preceptors have to teach you. Don't wait for them to ask you to do something, just get up and do it. Get your head in the game, don't let the medic make patient contact before you do. If you show initiative, the preceptors will be more likely to "take you under their wing", and help you.

As far as doing skills, everyone misses, screws up, or forgets. It happens, don't discouraged. DO NOT though, take short cuts like some people do, for example, cutting off the tip of the finger on your glove so you can feel the vein. You know the procedures, you know the safety stuff, you know what to do when something goes wrong such and blowing the vein or something like that.

Stay calm, learn from mistakes, and pay attention. :)