Zoll AED Battery Issues

Got this from our Regional EMS Office, thought I'd post it.

http://www.zollaedplusbatteryhelp.com/

ZOLL Medical has announced that there is a potentially serious problem with the batteries in its highly acclaimed ZOLL AED Plus and as a precaution the company is recommending all owners take immediate corrective action. The problem can arise with the unit’s Duracell Lithium 123 batteries that have been in an AED Plus for more than four years. Even though the battery indicator shows that the batteries still have sufficient power, (i.e., the green check is showing) the AED may not be able to communicate with the batteries and draw down sufficient power to allow a shock to be delivered to a person in ventricular fibrillation (VF).

To correct this potential problem ZOLL recommends one of two immediate solutions: 1. ZOLL AED Plus owners are urged to change the batteries immediately if the current batteries were installed more than three years ago and then change them every three years (instead of the previously recommended five years). 2. Install newly developed software that will prevent this problem from occurring.

For more detailed information go to www.zollaedplusbatteryhelp.com or contact ZOLL Technical Support at 800-348-9011 or 978-421-9460 . The Foundation urges all Affiliates who have helped clients, institutions or organizations to purchase a ZOLL AED Plus via our PAD Support Program to alert the owners of these units regarding this potential problem and immediate actions needed to correct and/or prevent it.

I received this notice just yesterday from our State EMS office. I can only think of one location that has a Zoll AED that I placed into service. I think that the potential for battery problems in these older devices is huge, depending on how often they receive good maintenance, or checks. Most "Non-EMS or Fire Service) locations / organizations that have AED's likely don't keep up a good maintenance record.

I am glad that the companies are ponying up to these issues, and making us all aware. I am not a fan of this particular device, however, but I do like some of the technology that Zoll uses. Hopefully those entities that own these devices are aware of this situation.

AC

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.