Should EMS report Illegal Aliens?

spenac

Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report an Illegal that needed medical care?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • It is unethitical
    • It is my patriotic duty to report
  2. 2. Would you provide needed medical care despite above answer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Whos going to pay for his treatment?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that we are not law enforcement, I would most definetly turn in an illigal. Yes, they would still get the treatment required, but that doesnt change the fact that they dont have a right to be here, for lack of a better way to put it. How many of these illigals are getting gov help because they were able to make fake documents....??? Why should our country and the future of our country suffer because of people like these. I firmly believe that if anyone wants to come here, then they need to do it the right way.

As EMS providers we are required by law to report any suspicions of child abuse, adult abuse, or any violent acts of crime. We get in trouble if we dont. Now doesnt that seem like it's law enforcements responsibility, not ours? I don't feel that there is any difference between these scenarios and the question at hand about reporting illigals. But, everyone has their opinions and that's fine too.

As EMS providers we are required by law to report any suspicions of child abuse, adult abuse, or any violent acts of crime. We get in trouble if we dont. Now doesnt that seem like it's law enforcements responsibility, not ours? I don't feel that there is any difference between these scenarios and the question at hand about reporting illigals. But, everyone has their opinions and that's fine too.

The biggest difference is someone is being physically hurt which requires the reporting. LEOs also report the same mandated acts of abuse. However PD is not always present at medical calls where child or elder abuse may be suspected which is why EMS and other healthcare providers get involved. If there is an arrest to be made, PD does it...not the EMT(P)s. Unfortunately there had to be a law mandating the report of such abuse because some, including those in EMS, thought it was nobody's business if someone beat their child, spouse or elderly mother. It was a family matter.

Some could view the reporting of illegal aliens as a duty to report. Could it also be detrimental to their children if they are afraid to get them healthcare? Absolutely! That could also be a form of child abuse but from a situation created by those that are hell bent on enforcing the law regardless of what is at stake. But then who cares? They don't have any right to be here in the first place.

Of course there is a stereotyped group being discussed in this thread. Would you feel the same towards the young well groomed person who appears to be a business professional or college student but their visa has expired and are in this country illegally? Are you going to question everyone or just single out those YOU don't want in your country?

See that the person gets the appropriate healthcare treatment first. EMS shouldn't make the life and death decisions based on whether a person is illegal or not. People also shouldn't be afraid to call you if their child is sick. Reporting illegals should not distract you from doing your medical job.

See that the person gets the appropriate healthcare treatment first. EMS shouldn't make the life and death decisions based on whether a person is illegal or not. People also shouldn't be afraid to call you if their child is sick. Reporting illegals should not distract you from doing your medical job.

Vent do any of the hospitals that you know of report illegals that are treated in them?

And myself I treat them and even calm fears. Like the OB patients that have been lied to by the smugglers that their babys would be taken from them if they cause trouble or are caught. I tell them the truth that they will get medical care and that even if they are taken into custody their babys will be with them.

And also as I mentioned I have met many that speak better English than I and probably many on here do.

Vent do any of the hospitals that you know of report illegals that are treated in them?

For the ED, majority of the time we know the names are false. Not knowing their SS# isn't a crime since many people don't always know that. We have LEOs onsite but no one detains. Without verification of personal data, we don't issue them a regular county card but they do get a card that tracks their healthcare if they continue to use the system. The information is collected if INS or DHS wants to continue the process. Occasionally we hear where they've followed up.

If the patients are admitted to the hospital, further investigation is done usually. In the ICU, if the patient is not able to communicate PD may need to fingerprint to learn the true identity for family notification. Then, INS or DHS may be called to assist in the identification through their connections. If they are admitted to med-surg, it is a discharge planner's responsibility and nightmare to get them the further assistance they need or to seek advice from INS or DHS.

Here's some more info: Type in illegal aliens or whatever in the SEARCH box.

http://www.fha.org/index_html

We have illegals or undocumented immigrants of all nationalities and some from countries where English is a strong language.

We have illegals or undocumented immigrants of all nationalities and some from countries where English is a strong language.

Yes we do. And some of them are white, blonde, blue eyed. So not always easy to know who is illegal.

Thank you for the information. Our policy is unless someone goes AMA and leaves the hospital before us we do not report. We deal with people that do view the ambulance as their primary medical provider. If they get scared then they have no care. This is why it is great that I work in a system that allows field treatment and release. Heck even Border Patrol helps us with patients and does not ask any ID information and they leave. They also do not want people dieing because they fear EMS.

I am glad everyone so far says they would treat them regardless of whether or not they would report them. I deal with this frequently. If a person needs medical care and transport they get it.

Of course. That is a legal requirement, but let's say for a second that it were not a legal requirement. If the law allowed you to leave an illegal alien on the side of the road with no care or transportation, regardless of the seriousness of their illness or injury, would you do it? Many of us have no problem denying them jobs, education, or social services. Would anyone be okay with simply denying them any services whatsoever, including medical?

Of course. That is a legal requirement, but let's say for a second that it were not a legal requirement. If the law allowed you to leave an illegal alien on the side of the road with no care or transportation, regardless of the seriousness of their illness or injury, would you do it? Many of us have no problem denying them jobs, education, or social services. Would anyone be okay with simply denying them any services whatsoever, including medical?

I couldn't. I would treat them as any other human, to the best of my ability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.