To Go National Registry Or Not

tom5706

Want to back those words, or just speak from your anus? You use same repeated comment without any explanation leads one to believe you must have failed one of their tests.

NREMT has and still endorses formal education. Without their persistence we would not be heading for accredited programs. You can thank the NREMT for this or is this one of their "scams" you adress? Validity of tests per academia and again wanting programs to meet such standards.

Yeah, a whopping $10 a year scam.. poor baby. Apparently, you don't know the costs of most professional health care organizations and again I doubt you know or read the scientific research and the presentations they have performed within EMS.

So your asinine statement makes no sense, obtain your degree and NREMT demonstrating you have met the minimal national standards.

R/r 911

Rise above it. He is either trolling or, as you say, just a sore loser having sat it several times and failed. Three of his posts say the same thing about the NR with no rhyme nor reason.

He is obviously begging us to go after him, which is why I would just ignore him if he continues to post one-sentence antagonistic diatribe.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to back those words, or just speak from your anus? You use same repeated comment without any explanation leads one to believe you must have failed one of their tests.

NREMT has and still endorses formal education. Without their persistence we would not be heading for accredited programs. You can thank the NREMT for this or is this one of their "scams" you adress? Validity of tests per academia and again wanting programs to meet such standards.

Yeah, a whopping $10 a year scam.. poor baby. Apparently, you don't know the costs of most professional health care organizations and again I doubt you know or read the scientific research and the presentations they have performed within EMS.

So your asinine statement makes no sense, obtain your degree and NREMT demonstrating you have met the minimal national standards.

R/r 911

Chill out homeboy, I to have a two year degree, I just don't think we need the registry to pursue higher standards in this field. As long as people volunteer EMS will never go anywhere. Fire departments are the least of our worries, Do I think that I need a glow in the dark patch to tell an employer I worth an extra 50 cents an hour, No my degree and experience whould give me an extra 50 cents an hour or what ever low paying wage I so choose to go for.

Chill out homeboy, I to have a two year degree, I just don't think we need the registry to pursue higher standards in this field. As long as people volunteer EMS will never go anywhere. Fire departments are the least of our worries, Do I think that I need a glow in the dark patch to tell an employer I worth an extra 50 cents an hour, No my degree and experience whould give me an extra 50 cents an hour or what ever low paying wage I so choose to go for.

All that and still couldn't pass a simple test?

The ambitious type...

:rolleyes:

The course I'm in right now is a combination of EMT-B and EMT-I. I have the option to test at the EMT-B level (complete with the NR testing), but since I don't plan on stopping there, I've elected to bypass the EMT-B level testing and only test at EMT-I.

Once that's done, I'll be taking the Associates degree course for medic. Yes, I'll be testing for the NR at that level too.

While I was in MI, I wasn't required to test for the NR and didn't. Unfortunately, that ended up working against me in New Orleans, and again when I decided to get back into EMS in GA.

Yeah, the NREMT-B looks cool after your name, but having the NR certification just opens many more doors than not having it. My reccommendation would be to go ahead and test for it and keep it current. You never know what the future will hold in store for you, and it could come in handy!

Not only that, but if your state doesn't require it, just simply having it would tell your employer (or future employers) that you're not satisfied to 'get by with the bare minimum of training and education. We need more 'go getters' in EMS in order to show that we're not 'just a drone', but professionals!

Again, NREMT has never been against education; quite the contrary and even promote professional development so I do not understand your anguish against an organization that would be promoting your ideas?

Look at it this way, each professional organization needs some continuity of assurance that it is meeting at least the minimal standards. I know of collegiate Paramedics that never attended a formal anatomy class because the Paramedic course was contracted out to a Career (Vo-Tech) Tech. They were awarded college credit for their courses that did not meet the usual collegiate level requirements. In reality. although an associate degree is great it is not the end all. Can you assure me that all program graduates have the same continuity or meet the minimal standards?

Would it not make sense the NREMT be pro for us in EMS, since they have not raised their rates in decades? Remember, the more professional we become the more successful they can be as well. I am assured they would love to see our profession grow in both education and in professional development. After being with them two weeks ago, I can personally say they are more pro EMS in way of professional development and also wanting the Paramedic to be compensated for such, than most of the other organizations out there.

Think about it. What other organization has changed or even to attempted to increase the education standards other than the NREMT? ....

Degree is a worthy thing, but it alone does not make the difference. Having the degree and meeting those standards to ensure public safety is the key point.

R/r 911

Edited by Ridryder 911

Again, NREMT has never been against education; quite the contrary and even promote professional development so I do not understand your anguish against an organization that would be promoting your ideas?

Look at it this way, each professional organization needs some continuity of assurance that it is meeting at least the minimal standards. I know of collegiate Paramedics that never attended a formal anatomy class because the Paramedic course was contracted out to a Career (Vo-Tech) Tech. They were awarded college credit for their courses that did not meet the usual collegiate level requirements. In reality. although an associate degree is great it is not the end all. Can you assure me that all program graduates have the same continuity or meet the minimal standards?

Would it not make sense the NREMT be pro for us in EMS, since they have not raised their rates in decades? Remember, the more professional we become the more successful they can be as well. I am assured they would love to see our profession grow in both education and in professional development. After being with them two weeks ago, I can personally say they are more pro EMS in way of professional development and also wanting the Paramedic to be compensated for such, than most of the other organizations out there.

Think about it. What other organization has changed or even to attempted to increase the education standards other than the NREMT? ....

Degree is a worthy thing, but it alone does not make the difference. Having the degree and meeting those standards to ensure public safety is the key point.

R/r 911

The degree is not what makes the person or the medic - it is the pursuit of education and professional attitude which define them.

The degree is not what makes the person or the medic - it is the pursuit of education and professional attitude which define them.

True; but unless one can master the objectives and the way we measure the objectives in education by issuing of a degree. One could continue to pursue both and never achieve either. Having the education, knowing how to use what they have learned and applying it wisely will only demonstrate the proper attitude.

A truly educated clinician realizes continous learning and education is essential.

R/r911

True; but unless one can master the objectives and the way we measure the objectives in education by issuing of a degree. One could continue to pursue both and never achieve either. Having the education, knowing how to use what they have learned and applying it wisely will only demonstrate the proper attitude.

A truly educated clinician realizes continous learning and education is essential.

R/r911

agreed RR911 - I have a degree and am quite proud of the hard work I put in to achieve it. I do feel it was beneficial, but to be fair across the board, I think there are some excellent clinicians which do not yet have a degree, but I can appreciate their insight. I think being dedicated to continuous learning, be it to obtain a degree, or just maintain or obtain new skills is the ultimate goal. The end point being achieving the respect of our peers and the quality of care to our patients. That's what I would want to define me as a medic rather than a piece of paper.

The registry is a minimum competency standard. It insures that no matter where you go, the provider with that certification has proven through skills testing and a written test that they have the knowledge and ability to treat you with at least a minimum competency. That can only be a good thing.

The reciprocity it provides is also a good thing. I will be taking advantage of that reciprocity this year ( assuming I pass the written portion of the exam. I completed the practical yesterday).

I do however disagree with the way the written test is put together. The test bank is derived from way to many sources. The pass/fail ratio of the paramedic exam and the cost of taking/retaking the test is likely why some people feel it is a scam. It's not a scam, but there is room for improvement.

If you can come off the $70.00, go ahead and get the certification. The basic exam is not that hard. I'm about to pay $110.00 for the paramedic exam, plus state fees, plus background check, plus MS reciprocity. It's not in my budget either, but it will pay off in the long run.

Dust is right about it not being about the letters after your name, but it is also cool to have them. B)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.