Maybe We're Wrong

ERDoc

27 members have voted

1. 1. After reading the article, what do you think?

• Education is overrated
    • Streetsmarts are more important
    • You learn all you need to know in the field
    • Everything you need to know was taught in class and they didn't read from the book once
    • You learn more from those whose cards were printed on papyrus than you can from the lastest textbook
    • Experience without education is useless

I am a medical professional. Opinions of we are safety is just one of our problems in EMS.

R/r 911

But that's just it, currently we are not a profession, and it is not an opinion if it is true about being apart of safety, at least I can state this and be right in my part of the country. I do beleive EMS is always evolving, an example is the NREMT new catagories for providers, but it will be interesting to see how the nation grasp that change. Yes EMSA was a cook book style system.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a medical professional. Opinions of we are safety is just one of our problems in EMS.

R/r 911

But that's just it, currently we are not a profession, and it is not an opinion if it is true about being apart of safety, at least I can state this and be right in my part of the country. I do believe EMS is always evolving, an example is the NREMT new categories for providers, but it will be interesting to see how the nation grasp that change. Yes EMSA was a cook book style system.

We are not a profession due to what? Would one consider Fire Service a profession? Do a comparison. Most do not require any formal trainig prior to admission to Fire Services, as well do not require a license nor any formal education, just basically a hiring process being from neck down. This used to be a joke until more and more this is seen as such an acclaim that their personnel cannot pass the NREMT or should not be accountable to National Standards in other words "dumb it down" for us.

I realize not all Fire Services are alike that, but one has to admit one can only wear so many hats and still be proficient. The problem is most fail to realize we are medical not safety, nor public service or supressionist. There is no objectives nor specifics in safety within our scope of training or education and even our name sake states it. Just because one's system default is to place EMS within a division that has nothing to do with medical is irrevalant. If they placed EMS within the city sanitation division, because that division is within the public health area should they thought as EMS experts to?

R/r 911