Some Help

AndyJames87

Hey everyone so I'm pretty much still a new EMT i was working for a IFT company for about four months and decided to go to a 911 company. The companies were day and night compared to each other which was fine and awesome i got some great experience but i have some things to work on. Mapping being a major one my assessments were shaky and documentation ( i would forget to check of lil things like male of years for the age) so they let me go but i am eligible for rehire in six months what should i do? i returned back to the IFT company and planed on working on my weak points someone also recommended that i go to a 911 company that runs code 2 so that its not as fast pace and i could have a lil more time to absorb all the information. Also a side note about the mapping it sucks and im not trying to make excuses but im dyslexic i say right when i mean left i say north when i mean south that with the combination of my heart beating 120bpm cause my FTOS are asking me where are we going someone is dying!? It caused me to be shaky with the map book . and i thank them for putting me under that presser because it was the experience i was looking for so im sorry for writing my life story but what recommendations could you give a new guy?

Cliffs-

new guy needs work on

-mapping

-assessments

-documentation

-I'm dyslexic

-Should i practice my weak points at a IFT or Code 2 company?

First, slow down and think before you write or talk. This will help with you dyslexia. Approaching the situation with a clear head, being calm and think about what your doing will help before you proceed to make an action.

Practice makes perfect, get someone to write you a case study and practice writing patient care reports then have them correct it, re write it again making sure you emphasis on the parts you missed then start over. When you’ve finished be sure to re read over the form and fill in any missed parts.

Similarly with map reading, get someone to pick you a location and find it, practice over the radio if it helps. Write down the directions if you have time, like map your way.

I think IFP means non emergency? I say have a run with these guys, get your skills up to date in a semi non acute manner then move onto emergency ambulance.

Good Luck, I’m sure you will do fine.

First, slow down and think before you write or talk. This will help with you dyslexia. Approaching the situation with a clear head, being calm and think about what your doing will help before you proceed to make an action.

Practice makes perfect, get someone to write you a case study and practice writing patient care reports then have them correct it, re write it again making sure you emphasis on the parts you missed then start over. When you’ve finished be sure to re read over the form and fill in any missed parts.

Similarly with map reading, get someone to pick you a location and find it, practice over the radio if it helps. Write down the directions if you have time, like map your way.

I think IFP means non emergency? I say have a run with these guys, get your skills up to date in a semi non acute manner then move onto emergency ambulance.

Good Luck, I’m sure you will do fine.

I think Timmy said pretty much what I would say. Practice, practice, practice. Even when you feel like you've got it down, practice some more. At first I had probems with mapping, then one day something clicked and I got over it. Sort of like it's so easy, it's hard.

Keep up the good work, keep on wanting to learn, and more power to ya.

Not trying to insult you, but it sounds as though there may be more to the story. Obvioulsy every company has their standards, but firing someone over documentation and map reading, seems a little odd. Unless they worked on it with you multiple times, and you failed to respond. It sounds as if you were so nervous, you were probably very "scattered" on calls, so they probably fired you for that, but documented the other two issues as the cause. Go back to the nonemergent side, and work at least a year or until your confidence is increased.

Thanks everyone for the advice I'm always open to suggestions ill will take the advice you gave me

as for you crotchitymedic1986 im not insulted but thanks for the advice. As weird as it may sound yes those were the three things that were brought up during my meeting with the supervisor. I was nervous with some of the calls but i did map correctly at times lol we were first on scene to a full arrest and i had the first pt contact so as far as failing to respond i think not. I think it was i responded poorly. And not up to there standards. which is fine i can take constructive criticism it will only help me help others better. thanks again though for the input

Good plan, so far, Andy. And plus 5 for being objectively introspective. That's a huge step that too many students (yes, student. We are all still learning) cannot manage to achieve. Continue to tell yourself that you are a STUDENT, not an EMT, and your perspective will stay properly focused. The primary recommendation I would give you is another bit of perspective. That is, do not think in terms of emergency and non-emergency/IFT. A patient is a patient is a patient. Give each and every one of them the same level of attention and assessment as you would an emergent patient. You have to practise as you fight and fight as you practise. Don't drop your guard and dumb it down to a lessor assessment for your non-emergent patients. Be consistent. Let that same, step by step (get a list and use it) become second nature to you, where you literally find yourself doing it in your sleep. Practise, practise, practise!

And I cannot tell you to always remain a student without also saying that you should immediately begin working on the scientific college foundational courses to prepare you for paramedic school. Don't wait for a job. Don't wait for experience. Continue your education NOW. A year from now, you should have at least 30 hours of physical and social sciences, and other critical thinking courses behind you, and well positioned to enter a quality paramedic school.

Good luck!

Good plan, so far, Andy. And plus 5 for being objectively introspective. That's a huge step that too many students (yes, student. We are all still learning) cannot manage to achieve. Continue to tell yourself that you are a STUDENT, not an EMT, and your perspective will stay properly focused. The primary recommendation I would give you is another bit of perspective. That is, do not think in terms of emergency and non-emergency/IFT. A patient is a patient is a patient. Give each and every one of them the same level of attention and assessment as you would an emergent patient. You have to practise as you fight and fight as you practise. Don't drop your guard and dumb it down to a lessor assessment for your non-emergent patients. Be consistent. Let that same, step by step (get a list and use it) become second nature to you, where you literally find yourself doing it in your sleep. Practise, practise, practise!

And I cannot tell you to always remain a student without also saying that you should immediately begin working on the scientific college foundational courses to prepare you for paramedic school. Don't wait for a job. Don't wait for experience. Continue your education NOW. A year from now, you should have at least 30 hours of physical and social sciences, and other critical thinking courses behind you, and well positioned to enter a quality paramedic school.

Good luck!

Thank you very much this a great site and the motivation i get form you all here is awesome. Very true what you said about a pt is a pt. I know what i need work on and i shall continue to work on my weak points as a student. And stay open minded you can never learn it all right? thanks a bunch!

If your FTO was supposed to be training you. Why would he not give you some feedback on the things you need to improve on. Sounds like you got let go for all the wrong reasons. Don't give up. Maybe you should go back to the old job for a few months and get a little more time under your belt. IFT's are not 911 services and it will be a good place to practice your reports,and your mapping in a non stressful situation. You have just started your career in Ems, don't let this hold you back from trying to improve yourself.

If your FTO was supposed to be training you. Why would he not give you some feedback on the things you need to improve on. Sounds like you got let go for all the wrong reasons. Don't give up. Maybe you should go back to the old job for a few months and get a little more time under your belt. IFT's are not 911 services and it will be a good place to practice your reports,and your mapping in a non stressful situation. You have just started your career in Ems, don't let this hold you back from trying to improve yourself.

Thank you very much. I have a long road ahead of me and im determined thank you for your input! :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.