Nremt-p Orals

Asysin2leads

Anyone taken the NREMT-P practical lately? I'm having stress-induced GI problems over it. My biggest problem is that where I am testing is no where near me, so I'll be doing it with strange people in a place I've never worked, and I am really afraid of tripping up over some idiosyncracy. Any one have any tips? Better yet, anyone know where I can find some practice materials so I at least have some heads up with what I'm facing? I have pretty much everything printed out from the NREMT possible, but I could always use more. Thanks for anything that helps.

Anyone taken the NREMT-P practical lately? I'm having stress-induced GI problems over it. My biggest problem is that where I am testing is no where near me, so I'll be doing it with strange people in a place I've never worked, and I am really afraid of tripping up over some idiosyncracy. Any one have any tips? Better yet, anyone know where I can find some practice materials so I at least have some heads up with what I'm facing? I have pretty much everything printed out from the NREMT possible, but I could always use more. Thanks for anything that helps.

go to you tube and search national registry or search NR paramedic. There are some videos of skills testing.

NREMT, what a scam. :o

Another quality post..#17 and counting....I guess I picked my sig for a reason. :P

To Asys, I would say just relax and let it happen. It sounds cliche, but it is true. I would hope that an idiosyncrasy on the proctor's part, or simple semantics would not be a problem. Don't make it harder than it is.

I wouldn't let someone who possibly did not even take the exam (quality post) try to minimize the stress I have seen in the students in these scenarios. Maybe not knowing the people is a bonus. There will be no predispositions, and it will most likely work to your advantage. In the end, test taking is presumed to be 80% attitude. Positive attitudes yield positive results.

I have seen both in short supply lately... <_<

-Don't sweat the small stuff..

Actually, I found the practicals harder with an examiner I knew than with an examiner I didn't know.

You've been doing this a while. You know what you're doing. Just take a slow, deep breath, visualize yourself going through the call, say out loud what you're thinking and doing and you'll be fine.

The hardest part about it is dealing with the stress we create beforehand. The exam itself isn't that hard. Seriously! Dealing with the stress is the tough part. And the stress is what trips us up. Find a good stress reliever for yourself and go from there.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well.

-be safe

First of all best of luck to you. I took them and passed this past December in CA. The testing center I used offered a pre-test day where we got to practice with the instructors which was very helpful of course.

If you don't have that option I'll try and recount the things they said to remember about the oral station:

1) Do a good job of describing what you would do and check for with the scene size up especially on a trauma call. Be thorough about determining the mechanism and scene management. Some examples would be either dealing with downed power lines or dealing with stairs and other access problems a house might have. Their point was they wanted to be sure you could perform scene management well, not just recite a skill sheet.

2) It will be 2 scenarios and take you about 20-30 minutes. One will definetely be a medical and the 2nd might be as well (you do a trauma assessment at another station so the oral scenarios might be two medicals or one of each)

I think I had a CVA and a hypothermia call. Very straight forward they aren't trying to trick you. I believe you are allowed to take notes so do that so you don't get lost and lose track of what you've already done.

Just make sure you don't forget the basics, state loudly and often BSI PPE etc. they seem really hung up on that.

The stations are pretty much straight forward, make sure you don't forget the little things like wiping the ports with a prep before administering the med, stating that you would check the fluids for clarity, date, right med etc.

The oral stations were the easiest, the random I drew was LSB which is simple.

The biggest obstacle I had was anal retentive instructors, but I passed first go so I doubt you'll have any problems.

The cardiac station was straight down the ACLS protocol, and the static cardiac strips were all straight forward, printed off a simulator, so again, I see no problems for someone with any experience, hell, I made it easily as a medic student.

Good Luck

You've been a NY Medic for how loong ??? Dont worry about it ,, much of it is identical to NYS skills testing stations,,, go the NR web site and download the skills sheets...

Rembmer bleeding control is a new one that uses a tourniquet if Dir. pressure does not stop bleeding....

Good luck,, you'll be sporting that NR patch real soon.

Its been a few years now since I took my NREMT-P exams, but I just started this year as an evaluator so maybe I can help.

Candidates seem to worry most about the oral stations, but surprisingly enough it isn't the station most often failed. That honor belongs to - believe it or not - the BLS station: long spine board or KED. ...So don't forget to review that stuff as well, even if you are sure you've got it down.

The orals seem like a big deal but most people once they get in there are able to fall into the routine that they normally do. It might help to know that you will not fail if you miss little things. You fail for missing big things. Check the blood sugar on the altered mental status. Do a thorough airway assessment right away on the trauma. Don't give drugs to the hypothermic patient. These are the things you want to remember. People fail these stations tend to rush through stuff (particularly the airway) and miss something obvious that they would have definitely remembered had they slowed down and thought about each step.

Just go slow, take a breath, and relax. You'll be fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.