EMT training took back seat to parties

CBEMT

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine the videos from the picnic are pretty good. 700 bucks per person is a LOT of beer and pretzels!

I strongly believe in activities and functions that build teams, but this is ridiculous.

Whats even more interesting is reading the comments below the article from the people in that community.

I listen to the scanner and there are many times the emt's do not go on calls at all. I often hear other Fire houses take calls in other parts of the town because the dispatcher says on the radio "no crew".

For 100 EMTs in the service, you'd think someone can respond.

For 100 EMTs in the service, you'd think someone can respond.

Depends... were the meaty "hero" calls or a 2am abdo pain x3 days. The problem with volunteerism in health care is that most of what we do is not something most people want to do in their spare time, as a result if there's an option to go or not, why would they?

Depends... were the meaty "hero" calls or a 2am abdo pain x3 days. The problem with volunteerism in health care is that most of what we do is not something most people want to do in their spare time, as a result if there's an option to go or not, why would they?

Well hey, lets throw them a party for not volunteering anyways.

Now if they were smart... They'd team up w/ a fire service and get local fire insurance businesses to donate funds for get-together's. That's what we've done in the past. But a dinner for 80 or so people, (active personnel/immediate family/our medics/etc) no entertainment other than "war", "remember when" and funny stories.. It was hardly more than $500.. No expense put fourth by us, not even any time.. It was all catered, great food, and dry.. What sort of example would we be setting, by getting every responder pissed? Anyhoo.. WTF kind of a gathering did they have, for $70,000.00?

I don't. I bet they don't have an "in house" college. And if they paid full-time professionals, they wouldn't need in-house training. Or parties. FAIL!

I disagree. There should be at least an annual awards banquet, or something to honor employees in a formal setting. I personally would like to see something like that twice a year...good for moral (if budget lets). Now...shouldn't be a "lets get sloshed and act like an ignorant bunch of monkeys" party, but it should be fun. Happy employees=better working conditions=better service for customer=better PCR's=better pay, or something not too dissimilar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.