EMT training took back seat to parties

CBEMT

Waterford — A quarterly report outlining the Ambulance Association's expenses in the last fiscal year revealed the group spent far more money on a summer picnic and banquet than training for its 100 emergency medical technicians.

The report released to the Board of Finance this week showed that just $24,623 was spent on training and education, but almost $70,000 was spent on the association's annual banquet and a summer picnic.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=6765ffc5-...49-1ebbb69855b3

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to save this for whenever a Volunteer EMS attempts to claim that they're in it for their community, etc etc. I don't mind volunteers, I do mind sanctimony. Admit that you're in it because you enjoy playing EMS and hanging out with your other Ambulance club members and that's okay. But when professional EMS starts to move in, don't argue that you can do it better and are more committed. Not unless your budget can back that up.

Bill Maher had a great bit a few years back where he said: (paraphrased) "How about, your are what you do. Don't tell me at 2am at a night club that you're a very spiritual person. Put some clothes on and go to church."

[/rant]

Just pulled up an old budget from the Campus first response team I was on. We had an operating budget of ~30k (student levy of $5.25 per student). Of that $12500 was spent on training. $8500 was for uniforms and equipment. $6000 spent on team incentives (subsidizing conference costs, paying for meals when on shift, random candy/coffee drops to the on-duty team by the exec), banquet (Christmas and end of year thank-you) and a retreat for the weekend for the whole team.

I wouldnt be so quick to judge. On the surface, it seems excessive, but we do not know all of the facts. Maybe so little was spent on training because they have inhouse trainers, and already have a wealth of training equipment and materials. If your training purchases have been made, and you allow training to occur while on-duty, then there would not be a need to spend alot on training.

Also, we do not know what was accomplished at these "parties". I worked at an organization that used such events as planning sessions. We all talk about the amount of stress that is in our jobs, maybe this is the way they relieve some of that stress. What better way to build unity and teamwork than to have a large picnic where EMS families can mingle and enjoy each others company ?

We have the local police coming in next week to do a in-service on self defence. They are vollunteerung thier time, and we are supplying pizza, pop, and a few other snacks.

Depending on how they do the budget, this may be an example of how things may be skewed.

I second Crotchity.

I don't. I bet they don't have an "in house" college. And if they paid full-time professionals, they wouldn't need in-house training. Or parties. FAIL!

I don't see a problem with a party for staff at a paid service. But it should be a small portion of the budget. $70,000 for 100 EMT's works out to $700 per person for the year in social spending. That's more than I'm spending per person for my wedding. For $700 I can have a BBQ in the backyard (well my friend's I'm in an apartment) for fifty people for sure.

Looking back at my old volunteer team records again I found the cost break down of our end of year banquet. Fifty-five people in attendence, catered, no cost to attendents: $1495.00.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.