Stupidity at it's finest

Adam Swartz

The part about two kids screwing around and getting hurt and the parents should be able to sue because the teachers failed to take the high school students by the hand to make sure they didn't act like ass clowns. Or am I misinterpereting your post?

My point is that parents trust their MINORS to the school and that they keep them safe during the school day...they didn't provide a safe environment (glass walkways...seriously?).... same way VT victims parents could sue VT and why there was a settlement.

My point is that parents trust their MINORS to the school and that they keep them safe during the school day...they didn't provide a safe environment (glass walkways...seriously?).... same way VT victims parents could sue VT and why there was a settlement.

Unless they were Doogie Howser's cousins, they were 14 - 18 years old. That is old enough to be responsible for your actions. It takes a considerable amount of force to break plate glass. If it was a skywalk, a considerable amount of engineering goes into the design to ensure that they are able to withstand the force of a body falling into it. They most likely were either fighting or screwing around. I will concede that if the skywalk glass was inadequate for design or had deteriorated due to lack of maintainence, then the parents would have a case.

If the parents had been concerned about the walkway, shouldn't they have addressed this issue before. Nah, just wait for an opportunity for a lawsuit. It's only a high school. They have plenty of money. Teacher layoffs are only happening at an alarming rate and many programs are being cut from school systems. No reason there shouldn't be a frivolous lawsuit every so often.

""Unless they were Doogie Howser's cousins, they were 14 - 18 years old. That is old enough to be responsible for your actions. It takes a considerable amount of force to break plate glass. If it was a skywalk, a considerable amount of engineering goes into the design to ensure that they are able to withstand the force of a body falling into it. They most likely were either fighting or screwing around. I will concede that if the skywalk glass was inadequate for design or had deteriorated due to lack of maintainence, then the parents would have a case.""

Does anyone remember the Hyatt Skywalk collapse. All the engineering in the world was set to make the three skywalks safe yet some dumbass substituted 3 inch washers instead of 5 or 6 inch washers. With all that added weight they came tumbling down. About 125 people were killed I think. Can't remember the exact number.

so no matter what amount of engineering goes into something the end result is sometimes not what was intended.

""Unless they were Doogie Howser's cousins, they were 14 - 18 years old. That is old enough to be responsible for your actions. It takes a considerable amount of force to break plate glass. If it was a skywalk, a considerable amount of engineering goes into the design to ensure that they are able to withstand the force of a body falling into it. They most likely were either fighting or screwing around. I will concede that if the skywalk glass was inadequate for design or had deteriorated due to lack of maintainence, then the parents would have a case.""

Does anyone remember the Hyatt Skywalk collapse. All the engineering in the world was set to make the three skywalks safe yet some dumbass substituted 3 inch washers instead of 5 or 6 inch washers. With all that added weight they came tumbling down. About 125 people were killed I think. Can't remember the exact number.

so no matter what amount of engineering goes into something the end result is sometimes not what was intended.

I'll have to look that up tonight.

One purchasing manager can ruin years of design by being cheap. If the incident was caused by a failure of the structure, then the parents would have a case, but it should be against the builders, not the school.

I'll have to look that up tonight.

One purchasing manager can ruin years of design by being cheap. If the incident was caused by a failure of the structure, then the parents would have a case, but it should be against the builders, not the school.

And maybe some young girl wanted to make sure the ring had a real diamond before she put out and her test weaked the glass. Hey we could what if till we die.

The Hyatt Skywalk collapse was a combination of the aforementioned 3 inch illegally substituted washers, and an overstraining dynamic load. Remember, people were dancing on the skywalk, causing rhythmic vibrations that it was never designed to withstand, plus, many more people were both standing, as well as dancing, on it at the time of the collapse, taking it over the weight loading limit.

My mom and dad had been in that hotel a year or so earlier.

The skywalk in question was built in 1960 and has never had an issue. I walked it on a daily basis. From what I understand from a friend of mine the kids were shoving each other and the one fell through then his friend tried to catch him but instead fell as well. This is going to be an interesting debate about the remodel this year that has been planned for a while. People are going to argue that they need to rebuild the building. However they could just make repairs in the skywalk. The latter one is the one that I support.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.