Questions for Florida based providers

emt217

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any onther state suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know I can get info from websites, but I like to hear from individuals who live/lived in certain areas. Word of mouth is much better in my opinion.

I had thought to start another thread getting people's opinions on opportunities around the country. I know I'm not the only one (due to the bad economy) that is considering relocating and who better to ask than someone already in the field?

In my lovely little Orlando area, there are a few companies that still do 911.

Rural Metro still runs some 911 calls. Some. But they're also about to die in central florida and pull out. American is kicking their butt in IFT calls.

Health Central is a hospital based EMS 911 response, it covers some theme parks plus some of Ocoee. They're actually currently hiring for EMTs (I want that job! Arrgh!)

Reedy Creek EMS is in Disney, which is kinda "911 response" and you get the little golf cart ambulances. Who wouldn't want that?

EVAC is in Daytona Beach, they still do 911 response (last I heard. But I also heard they suck as much as Rural Metro does.)

Lake Sumter EMS

Polk County EMS (Actually requires you to be a resident in Polk County.)

Lee County EMS.

Orange County FD is hiring NON FD Medics for roaming Medic trucks. 12 hour shifts. They do require you to become FD within a certain time, but they pay for it. You must also pass the same fitness test their FF do.

There is still SOME job ops for Non Fire EMS out there, but they don't pay very well and they're kind of hard to secure.

CBVEMT... that would be me.....

And to answer your question, the safest (in job security wise) currently in the state of Florida to run not private or Fire is: Lee County EMS or Lake-Sumter EMS.

I work for one of the aformentioned agencies and I'm not going anywhere. We're the highest paid 3rd service, the most progressive medically with state of the art equip and trucks. We ran 78,000 calls (2008) last year. 24/48 with 12 hr optional. 9-1-1 Division / IFT Divison / Critical Care / Aeromedical (2 helos)

But regretfully due to Amendment One and the economic down turn.... we're in an indefinate hiring freeze.

• 1 month later...

I will likely be moving to Ft. Lauderdale in May, from Wake Co. NC. My other half got laid off up here and we are thinking of moving down there for him to work for Citrix Systems (he is tech guy). The catholic university in Miami has a good nursing program for me.

I have been checking out paramedic jobs down there, it looks like Medics Ambulance Services runs ALS, BLS, and wheelchair. I can't figure out who does 911 ALS service down there. I could probably get hired as an ER Tech at Broward Health Hospitals, but it really isn't ideal for me. I emailed Medics, but they have not responded. I have been paramedic for 7 months, so still want some good call volume. Is anyone more familiar with this area?

I will likely be moving to Ft. Lauderdale in May, from Wake Co. NC. My other half got laid off up here and we are thinking of moving down there for him to work for Citrix Systems (he is tech guy). The catholic university in Miami has a good nursing program for me.

I have been checking out paramedic jobs down there, it looks like Medics Ambulance Services runs ALS, BLS, and wheelchair. I can't figure out who does 911 ALS service down there. I could probably get hired as an ER Tech at Broward Health Hospitals, but it really isn't ideal for me. I emailed Medics, but they have not responded. I have been paramedic for 7 months, so still want some good call volume. Is anyone more familiar with this area?

The Fire Departments and the Sheriff's office run the 911 calls.

Broward County

http://sheriff.org/about_bso/dfres/

Hollywood

http://www.hollywoodfl.org/Fire_rescue/history.htm

Pembroke Pines

http://www.ppines.com/fire/index.html

and several more FDs.

Barry University is an excellent school for nursing and produces some quality graduates. It is expensive but many hospitals are willing to reimburse the expenses for one of their graduates.

Besides Broward Hospital District, there is Jackson Memorial Hospital - base for University of Miami Med school and Ryder Trauma Center.

http://www.jhsmiami.org/

Cleveland Clinic - Weston - They recently has a job posted for ER tech.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/ccforms/flor...ortunities.aspx

If you are planning on nursing school, don't limit yourself to just being an EMT(P). Think outside of the box and sell your skills/knowledge while playing up to who ever you are talking to. If it is a nurse manager, toss in the nursing school thing. Pick up a quick CNA and Phleb cert which can land you many different jobs and not just the stereotyped ones that are talked negatively about on the forums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.