Need help with marekting an EMS invention

MedicCraig

I'm looking for a little help here. I've come up with an idea for a new EMS product, but I don't know where to start. It's a simple, low-tech, cheap answer to an on-going problem. Has anyone here taken an idea and turned it into a reality? Ever get something patented? Marketing isn't the problem so much as getting it manufactured. Where do I start?

Title changed to reflect content...AK

Oh my God, it's not that "Slider" that I designed to stop the cables of the monitor from getting entangled. A simple design, based upon the Sliders used on ram air parachutes to stop line entanglement during deployment, it is cheap and simple to use. The slider is pulled down for stowage (which stops the knotting of the cables) then slid up for use. No more embarrassing untying of knots when time matters.

I even named it the Scott Slider :D

...and no, I have no idea how to go about patenting or marketing anything.

First of all, to patent anything is expensive, it used to be around $2k just to get the ball rolling. Then you have the problem of it possibly being a "medical device" which requires a whole other level of approval. I would suggest making intricate drawings of the device, do the minimal copyright/trademark that you can do, and then shop it among some of the bigger ems suppliers to see if they think it is a good idea, before you invest thousands.

start surfing here: http://www.uspto.gov/

• 1 month later...
I'm looking for a little help here. I've come up with an idea for a new EMS product, but I don't know where to start. It's a simple, low-tech, cheap answer to an on-going problem. Has anyone here taken an idea and turned it into a reality? Ever get something patented? Marketing isn't the problem so much as getting it manufactured. Where do I start?

Hey folks, long time no see, hope everybody’s doing well in these trying times!

I just found a few minutes to catch up and decide to poke around back here.

Interesting to see that many of the old highly active posters are still topping the charts, lol, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

I’ve been working on a new version of my wrench, and could write volumes just about the learning curve involved with that. You’d think doing it once, would make the second time easier. And you would have thought wrong…

Well there is an old saying, “A project worth doing, is worth doing right, and nothing worth doing right is easy.”

If you can give me a better idea where you’re stuck, I will try to give you a little better focused advice.

For now, if it’s a practical tool / device you have come up with, I’d suggest starting with making a working prototype, that will give you the most information on the “if’s and how’s” , and let you know “If it’s REALLY a PRACTICAL idea” and “How it will REALLY work”.

I really wouldn’t get paranoid about having it ripped off, the amount of work and money to make something, is enough of a barrier to keep out the home gamers’, and unless you work with the R&D department of a company that CAN make your device, believe me nobody else would be interested.

FYI, a copyright is not a patient, and WILL NOT PROTECT YOUR IDEA, unless it falls specifically under copyright laws such as image and design, you need a patent for a device.

Only a small or crooked person, who is looking for a quick hit might give it a try. The truth is it’s really easy to rip-off a device. Because it costs money to spot those who try, the reality of protecting your idea is unless you have big $$$ or a cheap lawyer and it’s not a big rip-off, it may not even be worth it to go after them.

With that said, If you have decide there IS a market for your device, then you will want Patent protection, as it will keep the real players from copying your idea, as they have more to lose if they do and you go after them and win, most legitimate companies won’t risk it.

After, I found there was a market for my wrench, THEN I got a Patent attorney and now have three patents pending, (this is the part that will cost you money), but there are ways to skin this cat and your lawyer can help you for less than you think to get started.

Lawyers can be found, and shopped for, do your homework, and try to get a recommendation from someone you trust.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, first you must decide if you have something practical, so get into the shop and make one.

Remember 2% inspiration, 98% perspiration!

Hope this helped, Good luck.

As always Stay safe

-Wantynu

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.