The Argument for ALS Level Care

akroeze

Dose anyone out there have a good link to prices?

I'd like to price out how much it would cost to equip an ALS truck (rather, upgrade an existing truck with the stuff needed to be ALS). That and increased hourly wages will be the only real expenses of note as far as I can figure.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the wage gap between ACP's and PCP's in Ontario Akroeze? Ontario is a front loaded system with more credits needed to obtain PCP qualification than other provinces. BC for example is a back loaded system requiring fewer credits to gain PCP qualification. Both require similar educational credit to obtain ACP qualification. Given the front loading in Ontario schools I suspect there is less of a gap between ACP and PCP wages than other provinces. That should bode well in convincing the powers that be the extra expense is worthwhile since it won't actually be that much.

The ambulances themselves shouldn't need much modification. Proper mounts for a monitor and possibly a ventilator would be sufficient. The jump kits will be different of course. Our ACP's in BC use Pelican cases and they seem to like them. The biggest additional equipment expense will be the monitors.

If your service is already using the LP12 or the Zoll E for PCP's there shouldn't be a huge cost then would there? I mean nothing that would end up under capital expenditures.

Akroeze mentioned the service using SAED's and doing 3 lead so it could easily be some other type of machine. I don't know if the LP12/LP15 or Zoll E can come as 3 lead only models or not.

Akroeze mentioned the service using SAED's and doing 3 lead so it could easily be some other type of machine. I don't know if the LP12/LP15 or Zoll E can come as 3 lead only models or not.

LP 12 come as only 3 leads. 12 leads are an option on them.

Dose anyone out there have a good link to prices?

I'd like to price out how much it would cost to equip an ALS truck (rather, upgrade an existing truck with the stuff needed to be ALS). That and increased hourly wages will be the only real expenses of note as far as I can figure.

I used this link when I had to purchase and equip an ambulance for one of my classes. I hope it suits your purpose.

http://www.savelives.com/homepage.html

They utilize LP12s with 3-lead, SpO2 and NIBP functionality.

So really the initial cost would be paying for 12-lead and ETCO2 functions to be added to a number of monitors.

Make sure they will still upgrade the LP 12. Rumor was they were not doing upgrades on them but I have not confirmed that. I do know I have been waiting two months for a replacement part on one LP 12.

Oh and I meant to add initially, good luck!

It boggles my mind that we as a province have taken so long to spread ALS into the rural areas and that so many areas are still waiting. In my opinion these are the areas where ACP's can do the most good.

Make sure they will still upgrade the LP 12. Rumor was they were not doing upgrades on them but I have not confirmed that. I do know I have been waiting two months for a replacement part on one LP 12.

Due to the introduction of the LP15? Is the LP12 even available for purchase anymore?

Akroeze do you have survival rate information for patients who would most benefit from ACP care available to you? That will probably be your best friend in winning over the powers that be. I would target seizure, anaphylaxis, and major trauma requiring needle decompression. As was already mentioned going based on 12 lead STEMI potential won't do much for you without a cath lab within a workable distance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.