abandoment or not

wemedic40

PSA means primary service area which we were out when our dispatch called us about the pts mother having chest pain. i had gotten a hold of another ambulance whose PSA it was. but the big problem is that my partner got out and left the pt in the back of the rig by herself which i know for a fact is abandoment due to that if we were ALS we would have alot more drugs that we would be carrying and be responsible for. also she did not need to get out due to the fact that if i had a lower cert= abandonment i have researched it

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullshit. Pardon me for being so blunt... with that sort of logic, one partner should never leave a lower level partner with a patient for any reason... which is utter horse-hockey.

What was the nature of the call? What were you transporting the original patient for? Was it life-threatening and were you returning emergent? Or was it a more tame call that one could justify telling the patient "Hang out here for a minute, stay comfortable, holler if you need anything- your mom is not feeling so hot and I'm going to go check on her" ??

*facepalm*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Sorry to call BS on your BS wendy, but paramedics do not have to tech all calls. Maybe your company has a policy about what an EMTI can tech, but there is no law that mandates that a paramedic tech on a "basic call". AGAIN, READ THE ARTICLE, IT COVERS ALL OF THIS.

I called bullshit on the OP, crotch, not you...

You're dead on... and I was saying it was ridiculous that the OP was insinuating that his partner leaving him with the patient was abandonment... haha!

Yes, paramedics get to delegate and allow basics to tech certain calls. Absolutely. They also get to send the basic to take care of a patient or two at an MVA while they deal with the guy who's totally screwed. That's the point of being able to delegate...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

It is especially relevant in this case, who is going to sue? The Mother of the pt? No, she received care. The pt? No, that would make the pt a dick..they would have to say in court "I suffered because they stopped to help my mom."

:lol:

Was it abandonment in the legal sense? No. Was it abandonment in the procedural sense? Probably.

Say ten Hail Mary's. Go forth and sin no more.

Funny how I understood the first post. The nitpicking here is crazy.

I don't think its wrong. It's insane how the EMS field is driven by lawsuits and litigation. Makes me want to pull out my hair.

I wish I could have understood the first post so I would know what the heck is being discussed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.