EMT/Paramedic Independence Day July 2009- Increase your pay!

Last night, while i was shooting up some heroin at a party with my ERdoc, I was searching some old threads on here, and came across a novel idea, unfortunately, I can not find the post today to give props to the originator of this idea:

I think we can all agree that EMS salaries could be higher, and someone suggested a good way to make that happen. He/she suggested that we could instantly increase our salaries if everyone just took a month off from their part-time job. This doesnt mean quit your job, just choose not to sign up for any shifts during a 30 day period (or pick-up extra shifts at your full-time job). They suggested, and I have also stated in the past, that the medic shortage is not realized because so many medics work two jobs. Since the trucks are staffed, there is no reason to raise wages to attract or keep people.

If everyone would agree not to work part-time for the month of July 2009, the true shortage would be realized. You can make this July, an EMS Independence Day, if you choose. Then again, that date maybe too close for planning and spreading the word.

What do you guys think, this July or July 2010, or a month that is later in 2009 ? Would it work ?

Interesting concept but as has been previously discussed, "Most" Americans are but 1-2 paychecks away from disaster. Yes, this is mostly for how they choose to live, I do not even want to get on that tangent at the moment; however, what would the ramifications be if they did indeed not work part time during July.

How many families would suffer, homes lost or bills pile up as most people work a part time job because they need a part time job? How long would it take to recover those lost wages? Would they ever be recovered in the long run?

What would the effect be on these businesses, cities, towns, etc if they suddenly had to increase everyone's wages? Would they survive? Would we have a job to return to part time after that occurred?

You know the problem is this.... I worked for NYC*EMS during several of the "sick outs" and unfortunatly while many people participated, there were many EMTS, Paramedics, Dispatchers, etc, who not only worked, but MADE THEMSELVES available for OVERTIME.. Thats right in 1988-89 before cell phones were readily avaialbe, many EMS people who were off duty and at home ,, answered their phones(instead of letting answering machines pick up) , and came in for OT when others were risking termination to bang in sick..... So I would say with people like that out there.... there is VERY LITTLE chance of that working.

IMHO. sorry

If done in 2010, or late 2009, they have time to save up some extra cash. Maybe a whole month is too long, it might achieve its goal if you could get everyone to do it for just two weeks, but like you said, it may be impossible to get a majority to do anything.

The better solution with more favorable outcome for all is this...are you ready?

Here goes: E D U C A T I O N

Yes it is the slow and steady battle, but it is the one that will win. The OP's solution is for a quick fix which is no fix indeed. It will only create resentment and continues to allow for mediocrity within our profession.

We must become better educated, become our own distinct profession, and then we can demand the higher wages.

I am not sure, but I think this has been mentioned once before on this site.

The educational requirements have increased dramatically since the 70's, and pay has increased as well, but i am not sure there is any cause and effect there. It seems that shortage of employees drove up RN pay, and EMS pay.

I think more education is a good thing, but not sure it will drive up pay (I could be wrong). How many services currently pay more for a degree in EMS ?

Now I am probing into an area of which I have no knowledge.

When did RN pay go up?

Why was there a shortage?

Did the shortage have anything to do with the requirement that RNs had to have an associates degree for entry level?

Did these things occur around the same time or did the shortage occur after the education increase requirement?

I cant say for sure on that one either. I do remember in the early 90s, my employer had raised paramedic pay to something like $34-36k, I was discussing it with another medic in an ER, and was overheard by an RN who was outraged that i was now making more than she was. So nurse pay went up sometime after that. I do not know when RN educational requirements went up, or if they ever did. I know that for some reason RNs with degrees have become more popular in the last 20 years, that could be because of pay, by choice, or because thats what the hospital's want ? Not sure.

While I am a union guy and I believe in the importance and utility of job actions like this, I have to admit that I have little faith they will work. For the reasons stated above and others, I really just can't see something like this coming together on a national scale, nevermind actually working to our advantage.

I feel what we are missing is a national identity. EMS workers are spread out so thin over the various kinds of services, that the guy working in the city for a private company feels light years away from a fire/medic working out in the boonies. We all work under different protocols in different circumstances and worse, we all fight amongst ourselves who is better/more educated/has better equipment/is a better provider etc etc etc.

The Nurses got respect (and with that, pay, educational standards and career advancement opportunities) though a national identity and a national lobby. As long as we continue to fight petty battles between ourselves and refuse to come together, I don't think we can ever hope to achieve what they have.

While I am a union guy and I believe in the importance and utility of job actions like this, I have to admit that I have little faith they will work. For the reasons stated above and others, I really just can't see something like this coming together on a national scale, nevermind actually working to our advantage.

I feel what we are missing is a national identity. EMS workers are spread out so thin over the various kinds of services, that the guy working in the city for a private company feels light years away from a fire/medic working out in the boonies. We all work under different protocols in different circumstances and worse, we all fight amongst ourselves who is better/more educated/has better equipment/is a better provider etc etc etc.

The Nurses got respect (and with that, pay, educational standards and career advancement opportunities) though a national identity and a national lobby. As long as we continue to fight petty battles between ourselves and refuse to come together, I don't think we can ever hope to achieve what they have.

We do not fight. How dare you. I can not believe you would talk so badly.........................oops sorry thought I was at a different forum. Your right EMS is way to fragmented to do anything unified.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.