Doctor of (Cookbook) Medicine?

Michael

"I have no patience for a doctor who says, ‘I’m above it all, I don’t want to practice cookbook medicine,’” Snow says. Too many doctors, he says, just don’t keep up with the science.

I have no patience for businessmen without a day of medical training to their name who have never treated a patient a day in their life setting rules and treatment protocols for physicians who actually *cough* examine the patient. Assclown.

'zilla

I have no patience for businessmen without a day of medical training to their name who have never treated a patient a day in their life setting rules and treatment protocols for physicians who actually *cough* examine the patient. Assclown.

'zilla

You examine patients? Surely you jest. A businessman can definitly tell you how better to do your job. :D

I think Spen's on to something here. I mean big business did such a bang-up job on the mortgage industry and deciding who can afford what house regardless of their income, why not have them decide what medical treatment someone should receive regardless of their clinical condition. I'm sure alot of people will make a lot of money before the bottom falls out entirely.

This tool is probably someone who couldn't get into medical school. I'd be willing to accept this as long as it was also a govt mandate that all pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies become not-for-profit and the executives become federal employees at federal wages. I'll second was 'zilla said, ASSCLOWN X2.

We all seem to agree here. So, just as an aside:

big business did such a bang-up job on the mortgage industry and deciding who can afford what house regardless of their income

My understanding is that the mortgage crisis resulted not from big business, but rather from government pressure on banks, answering to popular pressure on elected representatives, to lend housing money to [s:30f2b484d8]the underprivileged[/s:30f2b484d8] poor credit risks, coupled with fractional-reserve lending (the bank simultaneously [s:30f2b484d8]lending[/s:30f2b484d8] faking money that is not actually on deposit, to multiple creditors in the hope that they won't all try to withdraw their funds at once, coupled with "fiat money," which is the Federal Reserve simply printing up more and more money and tossing it into the market to stimulate [s:30f2b484d8]economic activity[/s:30f2b484d8] inflation.

I suspect there's an analogy here to the corruption of medicine described in the article.

You caught me in an oversimplification Michael. I should have considered the role of Government Sponsored Enterprises Fannie-Mae and Freddy-Mac and the momentum given to the situation by increasing government pressure to provide shaky mortgages. I also should have placed that in context with a climate of ever decreasing regulation of the market by lobbyists and an SEC with little to no interest in finding problems with business practice as long as the money was being raked in. Of course I'm still oversimplifying this as we haven't even considered how a starting premise that an entirely unregulated free market best underpins western society provides the perspective from which so much of this was viewed.

The economy is far from my strong suit, but I'm comfortable in saying that a whole bunch of people making way more money than any of us will in EMS, with little to no restriction on how they do things (whether in the private sector or government) are responsible for the mess we're in.

I have a social left bias and I'm comfortable with that and maybe it is that bias that's leading me here, but how can a profit-driven model ever by it's nature consistently work in the best interests of the patient and still maximize profits? I just don't see it.