Predicting an Emergency??

We do not use SSM and in fact, our Union contract forbids SSM.

We have a more hybrid approach to keeping over 650,000 full-time residents and 3 million visitors each year covered. We don't just cover one city, we cover all of 4 cities and 50 different un-incorporated communities in our county. We have a mixture of 12 hr and 24 hr units totaling 37 trucks at any given time @ peak hours which is for us 1030-2230 The 24 hr trucks are what set-up all of the 8:59 response zones. When one zone as identified by the 8:59 sec rule,is out on a call it is deemed there's a hole, 1 truck is moved to that particular station to cover that zone. No street corner, no "post". All of our trucks have stations. The new software is being utilized so that the most appropriate unit and the most appropriate response time can be met to meet the needs of that 9-1-1 caller. That is why we didn't go with MRVLUS or any American type product. The SIREN software gives us the freedom to use what we want from the porgram. I know the softwares implications that can ultimately bring us back to SSM, but only time will tell. I just wanted to share this article with you all.

PS. We're finally getting induced hypothermia!!!! Our inservice ist next week!!

Where is this? I think I've asked you this before but can't remember.

I just want to confirm I have this right. You have bases throughout the region designed for 8:59 response that are staffed by 24hr trucks. If one of those trucks get a call then there are 12 hour trucks that slide over to that station to provide coverage? So in other words the 12 hour trucks could be jumping from station to station all shift?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SSM rocks if you have no desire to retain your employees.

The truly sad thing is that it seems that companies don't understand how much it costs to hire new employees. When I was applying to companies last year for a part time IFT job, I passed over one company because of some of the posting crap that they do (no pagers/nextels so crews posting are essentially tied to their ambulance, single driver units, etc). Essentially they hire anyone with a pulse and don't mind the constant turnover. So I did the math. At $12/hr, 2 days of orientation (assuming 6 hour days) plus 40 hours of field training (quoted, with the prospect of maybe doing another 40 if need be), comes out to 52 hours of clock time before a new employee is released from field training. (56hr)($12/hr)=$672. Essentially every new EMT-B costs that company $672 before they make the company a single dime.

I didn't mention in my previous posting, the ambulance and crew sit on their Cross Street Location (CSL) for the majority of their 8 hour (in some cases, soon to be 12 hour) tours. The only time they don't sit there is when going somewhere reasonably close for a meal break, a toilet break, a refueling stop, start of and end of tour (at the station), and, of course, when actively doing a response.

Niftymedi911 wrote:

We do not use SSM and in fact, our Union contract forbids SSM.

Perhaps I should have my union negotiators talk with your union negotiators for pointers.

Any truck reguardless of 24 or 12 hr status is eligible to stand-by at another station. there are a few trucks that jump from one station to another, but usually if your sent on stand-by your normally getting bagged with a call. But it's the luck of the draw.... and it's that chance that SIREN can determine wether or not to send a unit, based on wether or not a call will drop in that zone. If no call....no truck placed on standby= more station time :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.