New EMT's and Mentors

HeatherJen

Some good input so far... thank you everyone.

I have recently talked with somene from a neighboring agency, and they seem to have a strong mentor program already in place.

I heard about an evaluation sheet that is filled out after each run. The crew and the third rider/trainee sit down, talk about the run, check off what they did (skills: Vitals, MIR, Restocking Amb. etc...) then they discuss what can be improved or areas of weakness and areas of strongpoints etc. This is all done and put in the trainee's file so the mentor not on shift can see whats happening when the mentor is not on those runs.

Thats a good start. Its important that the mentor get feedback from any crews that the newbie works with, otherwise the purpose of the program is already defeated.

I dont mind this kind of idea, however, I worry that some of our crews may be a bit over critical with someone new and worry about discouraging them. But then again.... I guess this is not a job you are allowed a thin skin either.

I agree and disagree. This is why, if your staffing is sufficient you should be selective of who is a mentor. They should have really good people skills, especially in tense situations. Being a great EMT or Medic alone does not make you an effective teacher and dosnt nessecarilly mean your good with people. As far as thin skin... yea you do need to be kind of tough and passive to do this job but being intimidated by a coworker does not nessecarilly mean your not cut out for the job.

So... if you were for an evaluation sheet as such... what kind of things would you be listing on it? I can get access to their evaluation sheets, but would also like some more input on this before I am totally sold on the whole idea.

Well for starters the evaluation sheets that I used had places for both the mentor the new member to fill out and make comments. The mentors would have comment boxes to evaluate the newbies performance, interactions with co-workers and patients, learning abilities, what was covered today, etc. And the new member would have a section where they can make comments on how they feel about themselves and their performance, the work environment, etc. Additionally there is a spot where they can make comments about their mentor. After completing the sheets (each day they work together or meet) they review what eachother said and why and both sign off and date it.

You could also include in your evaluation sheet one or more check sheets that can be completed over a period of time. For example:

(evaluators signature and date here) Memeber demonstrates basic knowledge of company SOPs and SOGs

(evaluators signature and date here) Member demonstrates knowledge of location of equipment on the ambulance and proper restocking procedures

(evaluators signature and date here) Member demonstrates knowledge of propper patient care when verbally given a scenario

Something like that. These kind of check sheets could be completed maybe once throughout the probationary cycle or even twice. It would mostly cover skills that cant be covered and expected to be known from day one. While yes you should learn the location of equipment as quickly as possible... its not going to happen overnight.

Really, if this goes where I think its going to... and because of the input I have received so far..... I think I will be researching more, writing up and submitting an outline of a more formal mentor program for this agency. Which I can see clearly now is just as important on picking WHO to be the mentor as to HOW we mentor.

Absoloutley! As you said yourself you dont want someone who is going to discourage them. And that dosnt nessecarilly mean that they intentionally discourage them, the regular member may just be hard to talk to and come off as if they dont care. The mentor should be easy to talk to, easy to ask questions of sometimes no matter how stupid or obvious the question or answer is. And the mentor must be able to establish trust with the newbie. If for instance the newbie screws up (something minor) and is too intimidated to answer to the supervisor, the mentor may be able to mediate the situation. In instances of a major incident like someone got hurt, that should go out the window and propper disciplinary action should be taken immediatley.

My experience in the past with a so called mentor was a joke. The first meeting night I was introduced to the crews, my so called mentor walked in loud, foul mouthed and then snubbed me. I heard from her once over the phone, letting me know to come to her if I had any questions.... LOL... I was NOT impressed. So I have definately learned that there can be WRONG people for the mentor positions.

I remember how alone and NOT welcomed I felt on that first meeting night... and so I wasnt surprised that they were hurting bad for EMT's. But I did recognize that there is a place for me in that agency.... someone has to be the smiling face to the newcomers.

I can share simmillar experiences as Im sure many others here could too. Its unfortunate but it happens alot. Thats why we need people who want to change things. I understand fully where your coming from with being skeptical about the mentor program, but if your proactive about it... changes can happen. One department I was a member of had a junior corps back in the 80s... it was dispanded for many reasons including animal cruielty commited by unsupervised junior members in the station. Around 2005 (long after electronic locks were installed) we decided to start the program up again. With hard work on the part of some active members, officers and the by-law commitee it flourished with alot of success.

Change can only happen if someone is willing to take that step, regardless of the past or what anyone else thinks. I think your taking this step shows great initiative and potential.

There are some really great viewpoints here so far.. and I truly appreciate all the input everyone!

Thank you!

~H

No problem. Keep posting and/or if youd like drop me a PM if you need some more info.

I dont think putting new people with "anybody that works there" is a good idea. If you want the employee to be successful, they need to get a good "start", and some people just dont have the patience to work with new people. Even if the new person is experienced, they may not know your company's way of doing things.

I agree and disagree with that.

I agree because as Ive said the new member should be mentored by someone with good people skills, so as though they do not get intimidated and lose sight of their job. And sometimes, well maybe often, its easy for someone to get discouraged early on in something new. And as you said, even an experienced person has things to learn. Also, working various people may at times cause one to develop bad habbits or confuse them because some of us have different ways of doing things.

However, I disagree because given the nature of our job its not always convinent for us to work with the same people. Also, we get sick or hurt or have family emergencies to attend to like anyone else. Not to mention, regardless of personal feelings and opinions of one another or other topics and beliefes, we should be expected to work together as a team at any and all times. I would want to know that even if Joe EMT intimidates the hell out of me, cuz hes twice my size and sour faced, that I can work with him.

~~~~

A related side story;

I once had a trainee who was on the job almost as long as I am old. We were both intimidated by that. I had to show him the ways of the company but didnt want to insult his experience, and well he of course probably didnt want some kid telling him what to do. I expressed my feelings to him after I got to know him a bit, let him know I didnt want to step on his toes but that I would be there if he needed help remembering radio codes, getting around and overall how the company works. From then on we worked pretty well together.

And by all means, all mentors and field training officers need to be consistent across the board.

I have a friend who is going thru a rough patch and her biggest complaint with the field training officer process is that they are not consistent.

One will gig her for not doing something, then she corrects that action according to the current field training officer and then when she's put with another fto they gig her for doing it the way the previous fto told her to do it.

If you are going to be a fto or mentor, the group of mentors/fto's have to follow the same freaking playbook not personal preference or "it's the way I've always done it" You have to be consistent.

did I mention that each fto needs to be consistent in requirements so the newbies don't get confused in their evaluation process.

I see your point, and realize that things dont always go as planned, but I always preferred to let the person ride third a few shifts, then placed them with the same partner for their orientation period (for some of the reasons already listed, I wanted consistensy). If that partner wasnt available for a shift or two, then i would put them with another strong person.

Now after orientation is over, I have no problem putting them with everyone. But typically in EMS, we put the new person with the person that no one else can work with, and you can watch their attitude slowly worsen, shift after shift.

Gatcha crotchity and yea that makes sense. Typically both paid and volly services around here (South East Connecticut) do the third rider thing for a while to and I support that 100% We dont really have the consistancy of one partner or FTO though. I do see what your saying and agree.

CC,

if an FTO program is setup correctly, then an FTO and mentor are one in the same. I agree that not everyone can be an FTO and as you stated, just because they are great medics or EMT's does not make them good teachers.

New hires should be placed with an FTO. They should be required to ride as a 3rd rider for minimum of 14 shifts. This gives them time to learn the system and get to know what is expected. Then they should be kept with their FTO, as their partner, for at least 6 months. This is the time that the mentoring is there.

As Ruff stated, FTO's need to stay consistent across the board. I have seen this in many services, where FTO's train to their way and not consistent with the system.

I also believe that you need to review with the new hire, after 3-4 days. Find out if they are compatible with their FTO. Not everyone will get along. If you leave a new person with an FTO that they can not get along with, then they will never learn anything and will hate working there.

Heather jean asked what should be on the eval sheet ?

Depends on your service, as you may have unique things that other services do not have (more mtn or water rescues than a service in the desert -- maybe you are in the desert). So you have to ask yourself, what are the things we think every new employee should be proficient in before we turn them loose ? At the EMT level, I would say the following is a good start:

Proper defensive driving.

Map reading or ability to operate GPS.

Ability to operate each piece of equipment on the truck that is at his level.

IV skills.

Immobilization skills

Territory knowledge and hospital locations.

Restocking of the ambulance and clean-up procedures.

Vehicle inspection.

Things that are unique to your service or region.

Policy / Procedure / Protocol

Yea I agree with the consistancy. FTOs (in one company I worked for) are supposed to let the newbie do all the driving and tech during non critical calls. I drove, lets see, ummm never and mind you I had no driving experience outside of small cars and an easy as hell EVOC class prior to that. My FTO was great, both as an EMT and person, but he most deffinatley had his own way of doing things. And our FTO time was all of 3 or 4 days. For me it was enough in terms of how to do the job, because I was already in EMS for 4 years... I just had to learn driving, because I never drove prior to that and company polocies. It took a little time but I got it.

All advice given has been invaluable and I appreciate your time and efforts in your posts.

Please feel free to email me if you have anything else that might help.

I am still looking for sample evaluation sheets for both the EMT's and Mentors. If you have a sample copy I would appreciate an email.

Always looking for great input!

Best Regards, ~H