Treating Self-Injury (SI)

Michael

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all, don't judge until you've walked in another's shoes. You don't know what the situation was so I would say it's really not your place to comment. Just because a mistake is made once doesn't mean it should last a lifetime, particularly if that mistake is corrected. I know medics that have attempted suicide, had significant depression, drug and/or alcohol problems, and physical illness. They all were given time off of dismissed quietly and allowed to regroup before returning to the profession. Most that came back are okay now - the few that aren't have walked away from EMS entirely. Show some courtesy, this is why people in our profession don't speak is because of condemnation like this when they do. This person was brave for her response. Give her the respect to state what she did and leave it at that.

I agree 911medic.

All I was questioning was the "I lost my FF job, so now I am an EMT.

I meant no disrespect. I have friends who were cutters..... real cutters, not these frickin EMO kids, you would have never known my friends to be cutters unless you seen them with thier shirt off or in shorts.

I do not judge that which I do not understand.

I do not understand the phsyc behind cutting.

I personally would have a hard time working with someone who used cutting as a coping mechanism... it's not healthy and I would encourage them strongly to seek help/tell a supervisor...just as I would anyone who was using an unsafe coping mechanism for stress/emotional distress....

treating them on the other hand... first aid and skills.... i am so under qualified to even begin talking to someone about their self injury practices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.