Ultrascope Stethascope? Maxiscope Stethascope?

My PoS steth broke.

The company steths are PoS (I can't hear squat in the rig).

I remember a nurse at the clinic was raving about her Ultrascope and how she could even hear right through clothing.

Seems like a good field stethoscope to me and $75 isn't horrendous.

Anyone have any experience or opinions?

Here's the blurb:

UltraScopes are pressure sensitive stethoscopes for assessment of heart / lung sounds in patients and animals. The UltraScope head is machined from an extremely crack resistant modern plastic. The head, tubing and binaural assembly filters external noises while amplifying heart / lung sounds without batteries or electronics. Each head is completely manufactured in the United States and is individually designed, therefore no two are exactly alike. Frequency range 20-35 kHz. Adult head dimension: 2†diameter.

HR-Trio.jpg

They also make a cheaper one called the MaxiScope, but I don't know what the difference is.

I have a friend here who has been a nurse for quite a few years in all settings.. she bought an Ultrascope at the EMS Conference in Vegas in 2003... she loved it then, but I haven't seen her use it much lately...

It's kind of funny, but my Paramedics, when they borrow my Littman "ears" say the thing is TOO sensitive.

Also, skill counts, too, as I have been able to get fairly good results with the "el-cheap-oh" "Nurse's" style. There will be days when even the best scope won't do the job for you.

I had changed my mind back to a Litmann... but then it turned out one of our paramedics had a scope. I used it and was amazed. Two intermediates used it too. We are all going to buy Ultrascopes now.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got an ultrascope. I've gotten to use it on two calls. It's pretty phenomenal. It hears through clothes. I've gotten breath sounds that nobody else could hear. Pressures take a little getting used to.

We have several nurses who use the ultrascopes at work. And that pressure thing must take some gettign used to. FOr others out there, I also hear that the DRG is a good scope, about half my class got that one.

We have several nurses who use the ultrascopes at work. And that pressure thing must take some gettign used to. FOr others out there, I also hear that the DRG is a good scope, about half my class got that one.

I can't speak for the UltraScope, but I picked up the DRG PureTone Traditional (tactical black, cuz I'm a dork that way) and love it.

Before mine came in, I borrowed a Litt Classic from one of my classmates, and liked it. But, the DRG earpieces are *it* for me. I have funky shaped ear canals, and the Gel-Seal earpieces just rock.

Comparing the PT Trad and the Litt Classic, I'd say that they're about the same, from what I was able to hear. I'd like to get my hands on the DRG Cardiology, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.