It is not a PVC

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For something to be called premature, the underlying rhythm MUST BE regular. A-fib by definition is not regular (it's an irregular irregularity). I agree with crotchity..... there is no such thing as a "PVC" in A-Fib, only ventricular ectopy.

In that case there would be no such things as premature complexes, as our heart rhythms are never ever truly perfect in timing. The rate is constantly changing ever so slightly. Some folks have it worse than others.

In that case there would be no such things as premature complexes, as our heart rhythms are never ever truly perfect in timing. The rate is constantly changing ever so slightly. Some folks have it worse than others.

But you can have a basically regular rhythm. It is the majorly irregular that can not have anything premature. In a basically regular rhythm I can reasonably expect another QRS at X but if another one shows up at L it is premature. Now if it shows up at Y it is still basically on time. See is that so hard? Wow I should teach this stuff.

Let me see if I can explain this so that you two can understand it. Since both of you only get to have sex with another person maybe twice per year at random dates (whenever you scrounge up enough money for the hooker), any sex act that you have this year can not be premature. But if you normally had sex every friday night, then having sex on Wednesday would be premature. :D

Atrial Fib is irregularly irregular, therefore no beat can be premature.

Let me see if I can explain this so that you two can understand it. Since both of you only get to have sex with another person maybe twice per year at random dates (whenever you scrounge up enough money for the hooker), any sex act that you have this year can not be premature. But if you normally had sex every friday night, then having sex on Wednesday would be premature. :D

Atrial Fib is irregularly irregular, therefore no beat can be premature.

Holy crap, condescend much?!

Agreed! The point Mateo is trying to raise here is the presence of irregularity in all rhythms (for the sake of debate, I'm sure...) and to illustrate WHY people will mistakenly term a ventricular artifact "PVC" when it isn't.

No need to be a dick. No need to use some vulgar metaphor and insinuate things about people's personalities.

~_~... not sure why you did that. Then again, I should have given up trying to figure out why you do anything by now...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Since both of you only get to have sex with another person maybe twice per year at random dates (whenever you scrounge up enough money for the hooker), any sex act that you have this year can not be premature.

So....using that scenario, let me correct you. I happen to be blowing money elsewhere, and I am unable to save up my money for my twice a year pleasure. We can call that A-fib.

The boss then decides to give me a bonus check (for being an excellent employee :) ) before I normally am able to save up the money. We can call this a PVC.

I then use that bonus check to partake in the pleasure an extra time this year. I am premature in partaking in the twice a year pleasure, because eventually I will save up the money for the normal second year pleasure.

The only reason I am arguing this point is that Crotch once again tried to shove how he feels down others throats. I simply wanted to show that the definition can change based on the context. There are not very many "set in stone" rules. The only reason the complex is premature is because it occurred before a complex conducted from a random location in the atria.

This is a silly argument, I agree. But I was told by a friend that I walk to the beat of a different drum, so I ran with it this time ! :wink: