EMTCITY EMT CHALLENGE

Come on guys please can't we just do this thread as its intended? As a learning tool and maybe help someone out that is too shy or scared to post due to the fact they don't want to come across as stupid? We are all PROFESSIONALS here so please grow up and let us continue this thread as a LEARNING TOOL.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. AK, spenac, I'm requesting that the BS stop until warranted by further idiotic posts. Find another really idiotic post, feel free to lambast said poster... but can we continue with the actual procedures run-through?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Next scenario: Describe in detail the initial medical assessment you would do on a suspected Tylenol overdose in a 14 year old patient. You can go ahead and assume the patient is female, conscious, breathing, and the parents have given consent.

BSI first,

Have your partner ask the parents about any allegeries, history, medication the patient is on ask them also how much tylenol was in the bottle and when it was purchased.

Approach the child on her level

Since she is conscious I am assuming a patent air is there.

Ask her if she is having any trouble breathing. If yes apply 02 at 2 l/nc if no go on.

Tell her you need to check her pulse you can get a general ideal of skin temp here also.

Explain that you need to do a blood pressure and explain the procedure to her.

While you are talking to her notice skin color, chest rise and fall, if she can complete full sentences, any use of accessory muscles to breath look at her pupils.

While the parents are being questioned by your partner you can ask her if there is a possibility she could be pregnant.

Ask her about any allergies history or medications she is on.

Ask her again if she is having any problems breathing.

Explain to her that you need to listen to her breath sounds and check her pupils.

Load her on the cot and transport her with a parent to the ER.

Monitor v/s in route and watch for any signs or symptoms of distress or deteriating of her condition.

She seems pretty stable from the scenario you gave wendy but Still have some mucamist on stand by just in case she crashes.

Next one... What are the proper tecniques for administering oral glucose to diabetic patient.

You would think a "forum moderator" would be more professional.

You would think, but alas, I am human and not devoid of emotion or opinion. There are times in the past when I have been deeply involved in threads and refused to mod them personally due to potential bias. I always ask admin to step in and keep an eye open. Believe me, he is watching constantly as of recent.

I would think a former professional paramedic dedicated to raising awareness on multiple issues would try a different approach in order to spread the message or gain momentum on all these important issues affecting our industry, instead of running them into the ground due to attitude despite being informed multiple times by multiple members that the style chosen to use is just not working. Meh....oh well.

Next one... What are the proper tecniques for administering oral glucose to diabetic patient.

What is patients LOC?

If patient is alert and oriented can allow the patient to slowly adminster it to themselves. It is best to place it between the cheek and gum and allow it to dissolve and absorb. If patient is not alert can not give anything orally. Oral glucose can be administered rectally and is absorbed quickly by that means.

After patient is A&OX4 if food available feed them so they do not crash.

Next question:

What is proper method of giving Albuterol nebulized?

Since there is no EMTCity MD challenge, I'm going to jump in here. Put the order on the chart as, "Albuterol nebX3." and hand to the nurse.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Next question, what does the A in PERRLA mean and what is the definition?

Since there is no EMTCity MD challenge, I'm going to jump in here. Put the order on the chart as, "Albuterol nebX3." and hand to the nurse.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Next question, what does the A in PERRLA mean and what is the definition?

Accommodation

What is the seccond R in Perrla mean?

For wendy... funny senerio you had my freind just done that with a 34 yo who od'd on tylenol pm.

Accommodation: The process by which your eye adjusts to focusing on an object that is close or far away. AKA: We test for accommodation by bringing something like our finger or penlight (not lit) in towards the patient's face, watching their pupillary response to the changing distance of the object.

As I always forget which order is which, R's in PERRLA mean Round and Reactive (not sure which order.)

Round: To be circular or ball shaped.

Reactive: To display some sort of change or difference in response to stimuli.

Ok Doc... How does the NURSE administer that neb setup? ;) And what is the difference between a Beta 1 and Beta 2 agonist, and why do we use Beta 2 agonists for bronchoconstriction? EDIT: For TREATMENT of bronchoconstriction...

Other folks: Describe, in detail, how you would handle a combative patient who may or may not be ETOH involved. You see a large head laceration and a very large drunk reeling around a circle of onlookers. Ready? Go.

Wendy

CO EMT-B