Texas EMS

vntramdc445

Point is if they didn't have options then i would have been one unhappy punter, how does the public let this happen?? :?

They don't know better. They like most citizens expect us to either just be drivers or in the other extreme perform surgery. It is truly sad that they do not understand how much a properly educated and directed service can do for them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't know better. They like most citizens expect us to either just be drivers or in the other extreme perform surgery. It is truly sad that they do not understand how much a properly educated and directed service can do for them.

Sorry for the hijack, got a new thread on it with a **cough** poll **cough**

The public are too busy getting laid off and their houses foreclosed on. The fact that a private ambulance service that isn't responding to 911 calls (buy may be called for their grandmother at the nursing home) doesn't have morphine really isn't high on their list of priorities. They typically assume every ambulance is the same as every other ambulance, assuming they even think about it at all.

Now that I think about it, it's true that most of EMS in Texas is provided by third services (government agencies, public utility models, or private companies). Most of the major cities have EMS run by the fire department (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso). Austin is the only major city I can think of that has true third-service EMS as a government agency. Fort Worth has MedStar, which has had a lot of problems with recruitment/retention lately. A lot of counties have their own county-level EMS service, or just contract with privates.

The public are too busy getting laid off and their houses foreclosed on. The fact that a private ambulance service that isn't responding to 911 calls (buy may be called for their grandmother at the nursing home) doesn't have morphine really isn't high on their list of priorities. They typically assume every ambulance is the same as every other ambulance, assuming they even think about it at all.

We're talking 911 w/o pain meds not transfer jockeys.

We're talking 911 w/o pain meds not transfer jockeys.

Try not to hiss so much when you say it. As a "transfer jockey" I transported more broken hips, more broken arms, and almost as many chest pains as I have working 911.

But you're right. We shouldn't care if "transfer jockeys" have access to pain management. :roll:

Try not to hiss so much when you say it. As a "transfer jockey" I transported more broken hips, more broken arms, and almost as many chest pains as I have working 911.

But you're right. We shouldn't care if "transfer jockeys" have access to pain management. :roll:

Your right. Sorry did not intend disrespect to those that do transfer patients. All Mobil Medical Professionals should have pain management available. Patients should not have to suffer because of those that are not qualified to do anything. Get rid of those that refuse to stay up with current medical standards, rather than lowering protocols.

Patients should not have to suffer because of those that are not qualified to do anything. Get rid of those that refuse to stay up with current medical standards, rather than lowering protocols.

It's not even that. In the case of the agency I was referring to, it was largely because narcotics and benzos were/are optional drugs in my state. And the owner reads "optional" as "money I don't legally have to spend," with a smattering of "we don't do 911 so we don't need it, and if they do need it the facility should be calling 911," followed lastly by "I know YOU can handle it CB, but lets be honest we have some morons working here. Do you really want __________ to have morphine?"

It's not even that. In the case of the agency I was referring to, it was largely because narcotics and benzos were/are optional drugs in my state. And the owner reads "optional" as "money I don't legally have to spend," with a smattering of "we don't do 911 so we don't need it, and if they do need it the facility should be calling 911," followed lastly by "I know YOU can handle it CB, but lets be honest we have some morons working here. Do you really want __________ to have morphine?"

I hear you. I hate the warm body with a patch policy of so many services. Hire people that can do the job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.