Critical Care in Oklahoma

kevintlau

Does anyone know anyone that teaches a Critical Care Paramedic course in Oklahoma? I am trying to find a CCEMTP course, but can only find the closest one in Georgia and that doesn't start until May of 2009. Please let me know if anyone knows any information about CCEMTP course. Thanks.

Does anyone know anyone that teaches a Critical Care Paramedic course in Oklahoma? I am trying to find a CCEMTP course, but can only find the closest one in Georgia and that doesn't start until May of 2009. Please let me know if anyone knows any information about CCEMTP course. Thanks.

Closest one I know of to oklahoma is in Blue Springs Missouri http://cjcfpd.org/cjc/index.php?option=com...3&Itemid=53

not sure of the experience qualifications they have in order to take the course but I would suspect that one with less than a year as a medic or less than 500 or so calls would be a distinct disadvantage in this class.

But I could be wrong.

The course is in June 2009

Everything that I have been told is that there isn't anywhere in OK that has a CCEMT-P program. I know a couple of services have an "in house" critical care cert. that they do and are able to bill for qualifying critical care transports (EMSTAT in particular), but I would not settle for anything less than a nationally recognized program. I have heard talks that EMSA is trying to bring a program to Oklahoma, but that is just hearsay. By the way, where service are you at?

Yes I am 19 and know that I am young and still new, but my age should not disqualify me from advancing my knowledge. I am willing to continue my education wherever and whenever I can. I would even attend a CCRN course, knowing that I could not test or have a certificate with my name on it, but it would teach me more knowledge when I go to work.

I currently work at Muskogee County EMS and live in Stillwater. I attend Oklahoma State University with a declared major for Physiology and Microbiology-Clinical Analysis with a pre-med option. I plan on going to medical school in the near future.

Now I dont plan on applying for CCEMTP course until sometime in between May - July. At such that time I will approximately 1 year of experience. [marq=left]

I wasn't having a go at you man just amazed at how short the paramedic courses in the US are. I don't plan on becoming a paramedic until I'm at least 25. Here in Australia it's a 3 year university degree to become a baseline paramedic, even when your on road your still a student for a fair while under strict supervision and constant evaluation from clinical instructors. Basically your 22 or 23 before your considered to be a fully fledged 'paramedic'.

To become an Intensive Care paramedic you have to do the 3 year degree, work for 3 years as a full ALS paramedic and be recommend to apply for the course based on your performance from previous years. There would be no way anyone could pass it without having substantiate on road experience and education. Then again, I have no idea what your scope of practice is and what the definition of a critical care paramedic is in your state.

But good on you for giving it a go.

Go directly to the source, UMBC CCEMTP (Critical Care Emergency Transport Program)

http://ehs.umbc.edu/CE/CCEMT-P/

Yes I am 19 and know that I am young and still new, but my age should not disqualify me from advancing my knowledge. I am willing to continue my education wherever and whenever I can. I would even attend a CCRN course, knowing that I could not test or have a certificate with my name on it, but it would teach me more knowledge when I go to work.

CCRN is not a course. It is a test that is taken after at least 1,750 hours of working in one specific patient care population. ex 1,750 hours in an adult ICU, another 1,750 hours for the Pedi CCRN, 1,750 hours for neonatal.

There are review classes but it is expected that you already have a working knowledge of all the ICU applications for that age group as these classes are usually just a prep for the test.

I wasn't having a go at you man just amazed at how short the paramedic courses in the US are. I don't plan on becoming a paramedic until I'm at least 25. Here in Australia it's a 3 year university degree to become a baseline paramedic, even when your on road your still a student for a fair while under strict supervision and constant evaluation from clinical instructors. Basically your 22 or 23 before your considered to be a fully fledged 'paramedic'.

To become an Intensive Care paramedic you have to do the 3 year degree, work for 3 years as a full ALS paramedic and be recommend to apply for the course based on your performance from previous years. There would be no way anyone could pass it without having substantiate on road experience and education. Then again, I have no idea what your scope of practice is and what the definition of a critical care paramedic is in your state.

But good on you for giving it a go.

Here in the U.S. one can take a 3 month medic mill program for their Paramedic patch and then take a 2 - 4 hour class in the back room of an ambulance company who then grants them the title of CCEMT-P.

If you noticed on the link I posted to UMBC, CCEMTP does not stand for Critical Care EMT-P. That is usually just a title some decide to use and represent it as such or their ambulance company has it as a job title. A few states do offer some form of CCP cert level. TN and Ohio are the two states I can remember.

Unfortunately, there are only two places to attend an official CCEMT-P (Maryland Critical Care Transport Program) in Oklahoma. Maryland's program is licensed to schools with exclusionary contract of no other courses within 200 miles of each other.

One is at Redlands College in El Reno, the other is Cherokee Nation in Tahlequah. Ardmore (Southern Oklahoma Ambulance System) has an occasional program. All have intermittent programs and are on demand. If you are a Paramedic at Muskogee, then you already work with some CCEMT/P's . I believe they attended the Tahlequah program. Ask them?

I have attempted to place one in OKC but do to the restrictions, will not be able to. As well, a committee for the State has just written what will be required for such courses and that will be published early this next month or so. Requirements of experience, education length, etc.. is mentioned in the code.

I will forewarn you; it is highly recommended that you have at least two years experience before entering such a course.

I personally attended Blue Springs, Mo course and recommend them. It costs much more, but worth the price. I again, would recommend at the least two years experience in an aggressive system or working in a ICU environment. Those that do not have such assume they can study and be prepared, but again experience is one of the best educators as some of the questions is in regards of trouble shooting problems. Such things cannot be taught directly'; rather gained by being there.

I suggest finding a moderate to high level EMS and getting experience first as a Paramedic then advancing on. Those in Speciality Care Transports such as Tulsa Life Flight, AeroCare in Tulsa, MediFlight, etc.. all look upon the type of experience much before than just a course that was attended.

Do your time as a Paramedic first and gain field experience, then advance forward.

R/r 911

Yes I am 19 and know that I am young and still new, but my age should not disqualify me from advancing my knowledge.

How close are you to finishing your degree?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.