California Highway Patrol Paramedic/Officer

vcfd35s

The dust storm generated by any helo on landing or takeoff is from the blades creating winds at something over 90 MPH! Somehow, I doubt it is just the CH 34, as this could be from a Messerschmitt (spelling?), a Bell 222 or 420, even a Vietnam era Huey.

Very true.

I haven't been exposed to helicopters a whole lot, but Air 5 seems to be a bit more violent than others on its take-offs and landings. It would be fun to stand in the wash and fight the winds if it weren't for the peppering of shrapnel you'd get. :lol:

We had a friend here named CHP and he was a California Highway Patrol Paramedic. I thank it is important that troopers no matter what state have who are at least emt rated, as was Colorado State Patrol Troopers for years. Alot of those Troopers kept there EMT up and are current. It nice if a state like Arizona,California,Maryland have medvac choppers that are also use for normal LE pupose.

Long Time Supporter of the Thin Blue Line........

Long Time Police Officer and EMT ( Now Retired from LE) 8)

I don't know about California specifically, but I was always under the impression that to work flight generally called for an experienced provider. Up here getting on rotary wing involves being an ACP getting a flight course with ORNGE and working in the middle of nowhere for awhile before getting a spot in CCP school and potentially snagging a job in a more urban centre. Not something you do right out of school usually. But I could be wrong.

I agree with the good doc. Im not in California so Im sorry if Im just wasting a post as I wouldnt know but I dont mean any disrespect in saying that to go flight generally they are looking for the best. Im not saying your not a good EMT nor am I saying you wont make a good medic by any means, because I dont know you. But for requirements in my area, the State of Connecticut, medevac (LifeStar) sponsored by Hartford Hospital... you need to have I believe at least 2-3 years experience minimum directly related to your care level. They only fly with RNs and RTs (Respritory Therapists) but to be eligible for either position you need that 2-3 years expeirience in an emergency room setting... among other qualifications.

Not trying to put you down... hell who knows maybe they will take newbies, just saying not to get your hopes up for flight. Its a personal goal of my own but even with 5 years in BLS, if I managed to pull the money out of my arse now and go to schooll, itll probably be a good 6 or more years before I can see a helicopter in my future. Keep that goal though, ultimatley if its what you want the only way youll get it is to keep driving for it.

Best of luck in school and your future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.