Medication calculation question

medic112

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would make the drip a 1:1 concentration. Pull out 100cc from the bag to make it a 1:1. The size of the drip chamber is mute because Amio should be given by pump. I won't give it my gravity.

actually our local protocol for Wide Complex Tachycardia with a Pulse calls for either Lido 1.5mg/kg OR Amio 150mg infused over 10minutes. we do not carry pumps in the field.

and No not a student, just a new Medic. trying to refresh on a lot of things that i have questions about.

Why is this hard for you? If it is, how did you make it through paramedic school? I'm not trying to be insulting, but I'm honestly curious.

You're giving 150mg mixed into a 250ml bag over 10 minutes. So you're giving 250ml over 10 minutes, or 25ml per minute. 25 times 20 gives you a drip rate of 500 per minute. See how easy that is?

(of course 500gtt/min is a bit hard to set...maybe you should get a different dripset, a pump, change the concentration, or use lidocaine.)

Generic formula.

(patient weight)(Dosage)(volume of fluid or drug)(Drip set size)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(weight of drug)(time to be given over)

Plug in what information you have with the appropriate units, and you should be good to go. In your example, it would go as follows.

[s:a8bfc7819d](patient weight)[/s:a8bfc7819d](150mg)(250ml)(20gtts/ml )

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(150mg)(10min)

The 150mg dosage and weight cancel. Ml's cancel also. You are left with...

5000gtts

----------

10Min

Reduces to

500gtts/min

***edited multiple times due to my stupidity.

Oh, and to add, I would probably use a 10gtt/ml drop set, that way, the drip rate will be the same number as the volume of your fluid. That is the quick and easy way.

(If you understand the generic formula, and see how the numbers work, you will understand how I get the "easy" way.)

Good Luck.

Matt(y) :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.