Medication calculation question

medic112

That's a weird lido protocol. ALCS says that if you use any antidisrhythmic during a code resus you need to back it up with a maintenance infusion at ROSC. Aren't you guys following ACLS protocol in every other way?

Yes and no to the following ACLS. We use the same drugs but have different doses for some reason. During an arrest we would push Lidocaine 1.5mg/kg q3-5min x 2.

Also as you see we only have the bare minimum of ACLS drugs.

The preloaded jets we've got of lido come in 100mg. 6 of those should be plenty to do the initial loading and then set up a drip that will last till you get to most hospitals, no? You only need a few mg/min... assuming you use 100 for the loading that means you've still got enough for more than two hours at even the highest drip rate.

That's a very good point that I was thinking about last night after I made my post. I decided I could take a burretrol, dump a pre-load in, dilut it with an equal amount of saline so now it is 10mg/mL and then just infuse away with easy numbers. I had never considered it before and quite honestly have never heard of it happening around here. But now I think it is something I would bring up in future cases with the doc.

On a side note how well does the IV Dramamine work for n/v?

I really don't have anything to compare to as it is the only IV anti-emetic I have ever given however I can say from personal experience that it takes about 10min before the patient gets relief and it makes a fair amount of them quite drowsy. Not sure if that is any help. I have yet to have someone under the full effects of gravol vomit (knock on wood).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't have anything to compare to as it is the only IV anti-emetic I have ever given however I can say from personal experience that it takes about 10min before the patient gets relief and it makes a fair amount of them quite drowsy. Not sure if that is any help. I have yet to have someone under the full effects of gravol vomit (knock on wood).

That's because it's related to benedryl. Which is also an anti-emetic...not a great one...but it does work.

That's because it's related to benedryl. Which is also an anti-emetic...not a great one...but it does work.

Not that I can comment too much yet as a student... but I am being taught to use Maxeran for patients actively/recently vomiting. Gravol is just used for nausea prior to vomiting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.