24 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll refer to one specific video. A car ran into the toll booth at high speed, exploding in a fireball. It was supposed to be a tape exclusively for use within the highway operating authority, yet it was both posted, and then pulled from Youtube, within 18 hours of the event happening.

Are you referring to the incident in Southern California?

Are you referring to the incident in Southern California?

Somehow I missed this exchange before. If you're talking about the Porsche girl, I don't think there was any video, just pics. Pretty gnarly. CHiPs are pretty embarrassed over that one. I'm sure that's not the only such occurrence though.

My opinion on this is that provided the tapes are kept properly, no competent provider should have to worry about his actions being videotaped. Should we not all be performing our treatments as if our peers, instructors, supervisors or managers were watching? Is that not a part of integrity? I can understand worrying about things that are said, an occasional swear with a patient who is CTD, or in the middle of a nasty code, but it seems to me like this would be a lot more for the provider's protection. As far as lawyers demanding access to the tapes-can they do that without a lawsuit? And if nobody below the supervisor level has access to the tapes, and that access is monitored, I do not see an issue as far as those videos ending up on youtube or the like. If they did, then there would at least be a record of who last accessed the tapes, perhaps some sort of encryption on the tapes or DVDs themselves?

Somehow I missed this exchange before. If you're talking about the Porsche girl, I don't think there was any video, just pics. Pretty gnarly. CHiPs are pretty embarrassed over that one. I'm sure that's not the only such occurrence though.

That's the one I'm thinking of. Of course emergency videos do have a tendency to get out. There was also the case about a year ago in a different part of the country where an off duty fire fighter was taking pictures of an accident for "training purposes" and the pictures eventually started to get around. Of course none of these incidents involved pictures from the back of an ambulance.

Can lawyer ask for a copy without lawsuit ? My gut reaction would be NO, as HIPPAA would supercede "Open Records Act", unless the patient gave permission. So lets say the the patient is a fat cow, and in the course of doing a 12Lead, you pick up her 30lb breast to place leads under it, but in the grainy video, it looks like you held her breast "the wrong way" (whatever that is, maybe you lifted it by the nipple -- I dont know, or you held it too long). It might give a lawyer enough evidence to sue the county, hoping for a quick settlement by the county -- he makes $10k, she makes $3k, but all the community remembers is the headline, "Ambulance Video Shows Paramedic Holding Patients Breast", and the story is:

Paramedic John Doe is accused of fondling a female patient in the back of his ambulance, a surveilence video shows Pmdc Doe, cupping the patient's breast. Pmdc Doe claims that he was merely moving the breast to do an ECG, but the patient claims he fondled her.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.