Bodies

jordanfstop

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do this for field terms as well as pronouncements in hospital.

I confirm the following:

no response to pain

no pulse or breathing

no central capillary refill

no heart sounds

pupils fixed/dilated

asystole on the monitor

and then leave the body alone. I'll cover them if it is clearly not an unexpected death or not a crime scene. So as not to introduce or disturb evidence, I do not cover the body unless instructed to do so by the crime scene investigator or crash investigator.

'zilla

Ahhh, I see. We don't transport them if thats what you mean. If its a crime scene we leave them like we found them, perhaps a plastic sheet if PD requests. If we work someone in a home and call it we often will place the patient back in bed, or on a couch, or at least make them presentable for the family. ETT's, IV/IO lines all stay in place.

Depends on location. If inside a private residence, we leave them alone. Call for the coroner (10-79). A lot of times just a phone call to the coroner and give the same info as other's here have already stated so I won't repeat. Coroner, especially if he knew who you were and he trusted your judgement would give instructions. We had a few Deputy Coroners on the FD and with the private service in our city so it was likely that at least one of them would be on the call anyway.

But if out in public, the Coroner always came out, especially if trauma of any kind was present. Most of the time our Coroner was a Doc so he was able to process the body itself quicker than most, at least in our area. We would cover with the thinnest sheet(s) we had so it was lightly on the body. After Coroner was done used body bag, including the sheet in case of any transfer.

And yes, the ambulance, which also had agreements with most of the funeral homes for body transports/ transfers, would transport if asked to by the FH Director. And they got paid for it.

Usually we leave the body for the coroner or funeral home however sometimes we do transport to the morgue. Either at the request of the coroner (closest one is over 2 hours away) or the family (nearest funeral parlour is also over 2 hours away).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.