My neck is locked, I cant move my head (not menengitis).

This one is way to easy for the veterans, dont blurt out the answer, give the baby docs a chance please.

And yes, this is a REAL CALL, not a what if or hypothetical, and no i didnt do a csection on her --LOL

You respond to your local college to find a 19 year old female who is quite anxious and states, when i woke up this morning my neck was locked, i cant move my head. Sure enough, her neck/head are locked in place, looking upward toward the ceiling.

History: Appendix removed as a child

She had flu symptoms this week and was seen at the college infirmary yesterday.

She denies any recent trauma or falls

Go for it ..........................

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitals are all within normal limits, including dstick (if you choose to do one later):

She has a temp of 99.1 orally, but hasnt taken any medicine this morning, she did have a fever the last two days of up to 101, but it usually subsided with tylenol. She took her tylenol before bed last night, and didnt feel like she had a fever.

If you need numbers:

B/P 120/76 no significant orthostatic change

Pulse 82 -- Monitor NSR without ectopy

RR 16, Pulse ox 99% on RA

Nuchal rigidity after a fever? College girl? Dude, this can't get any easier.

I'll play nice though. Productive cough? Headache? Other signs/symptoms? Recent trauma?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Nuchal rigidity after a fever? College girl? Dude, this can't get any easier.

I'll play nice though. Productive cough? Headache? Other signs/symptoms? Recent trauma?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wow you and me playing nice, now thats a scenario.

Any deficits to any extremitys?

Yes this is amazing, maybe there is hope for Iran and North Korea, if we can all get along.

No, she doesnt have any other neuro deficits, her extemities are at normal strength, but is is difficult for her to walk because of the way her head is locked looking up at the ceiling (she cant see where she is going).