Should we save ourselves???

FozMedic

I had a conversation recently with a complete stranger, and I would like to share. I'll set the scene:

Having dinner at a hotel during a stopover on my way home from the middle east, I met this lady while having a cigarette.

The question of employment arose, and I explained that I was working as an EMT/Driver in the Middle East.

This caused an issue because in recent times the local ambulance service has had some bad press due to being undermanned etc. This lady could not understand why anyone should be allowed to work outside of their home country if their particular skillset was in short supply at home. 'I think we should fix our own problems before we try to fix anyone else's' sums up what was said.

My point of view went as follows:

I know we have problems at home. Every country does, some worse than others. The difference is that we have the resources to fix or at least try to fix these problems. We have the ability to advertise for new medical staff, or police or whoever is needed, we have universities to train new students, and we have a government that is there to help with these issues. We will always have some issues at home, no matter how hard we try to fix everything. Remember, noone is perfect, and untill they are, you are saying that we should deny help to others less fortunate.

Then I asked her a question. "Why do you believe that these people don't deserve our help? I am in a position to help a race of people in need,(albeit a small cog in a big machine) and you think that I should stand aside. Why??

From here on she really didn't have much of an argument, carrying on about things like response times with which I would counter that some countries are lucky to have an EMS service at all, let alone the ability to sook about taking an extra 3 mins to arrive....

The conversation went in circles from here, and I just couldn't seem to get my point to sink in.

In short, I think that we are doing some good in the less fortunate countries that some of us work in, even if it is on a small scale. I mean, when you give a lolly pop to a child who has never received a gift in its life, the facial expression says we are doing good....

Id like to hear your comments on this subject, just to make sure that I am not being naieve. I hope that this ladies view is not that of the general majority.

Thanks for reading

This is going to sound really non-committal but I both agree and disagree.

My personal belief is to take care of my own backyard first. When it comes to charity or volunteer work I keep it local on the grounds that my money or effort in my own area will have greater effect on the problems here than the massive problems worldwide.

But, I have no issue with others putting their focus elsewhere. We all pick our causes and mine are local or provincial.

Not sure I understand your personal situation here, Foz.

Are you saying you provide your EMT/Driver services to the citizens of Iraq? If so, that is a unique position that I am unfamiliar with, and your chat partner has at least a theoretical point. But if you are providing your services to Coalition military personnel or to other contractors, then that would be the same as providing your services at home.

Another answer would be explaining what a great opportunity it is to help those people when they really need it. Make it selfish if you'd like. You're experiencing and learning things most people never will. I'm sure it's grounded you and made you grown in a number of ways.

It's like why does one go into the Peace Corp and help people abroad for two years.

I think you gave a pretty good answer, though.

I suppose it is a unique situation because we work on both civilian and military personnel. I just couldn't understand why this individual couldn't see my point of view. DocHarris, I agree with you whole heartedly. My concern with the conversation I had was that she was quite upset that anyone would choose to help others before ourselves (im talking as a whole not as individuals), and I believe there are others out there who need our help too. This is not to say that they are more deserving, or that I expect everyone to do the same, but I believe that they have less ability to help themselves, and if some of us more fortunate people don't help, then the situation will never get to a point where they are able to help themselves.

Cheers,

Foz

Sounds like she had a very unrealistic notion of what you actually do, and I can see why. But, if you were actually over there running Afghan EMS, I suppose her point might be a valid one on some level. It's the same view I have of Indian doctors who abandon their country to come to the US for the good life. But, obviously that is not what is going on here. I think you probably could have explained the situation a little better to her.

Mate, I explained it as best I could. I don't think she was even listening to what I was sayin in the end.

I understand that she is free to have her own opinion, and that is just fine, im just trying to guage the general outlook on the issue.

Thanks

Foz

Mate, I explained it as best I could. I don't think she was even listening to what I was sayin in the end.

I understand that she is free to have her own opinion, and that is just fine, im just trying to guage the general outlook on the issue.

Thanks

Foz

Ahh...see, you should have tried explaining it before you got her all liquored up and naked. Just sayin'....

Sorry brother, my perspective is queer'd. I think we belong here, and I don't believe EMS as we know it is suffering terribly in my absence. And yeah, we do in fact do some good here, you much more so than most of us.

As for the general consensus on this, most everyone I know has had to listen to my diatribe on the subject, so I'm with you, I'd be curious to know what the uninitiated think.

Be safe man, we miss you here.

Dwayne

I always try to divert the conversation with the general public when they start asking questions about EMS, what you do, why you do it ect. It’s hard to explain to people who have no idea or find it hard to comprehend what you’re trying to say. It’s a lot for some people who have no idea what EMS is about to take in.

I guess in a similar sense people always ask why I volunteer, I have no direct answer. I like it, like the people I work with, enjoy the different experiences and I learn a lot. I work 40 hours a week in the hospital, attend school part time, study then volunteer in my spare time, sure some weeks can be non stop but I can think of nothing worse then sitting in front of the TV or just doing nothing.

I think working in the Middle East or overseas would be awesome, once in a life time experience. I hope that once (or should I say ‘if’) I get qualified and gain some experience I could think of nothing better than working in a totally different environment, with people/cultures/countries I have no idea about.

I’m doing my nursing training in a small rural community which I grew up around, we have such a nursing shortage it would be so easy to just keep working here in the little sub acute hospital that sees predominately the same type of patients day in day out with the occasional challenging patient that just gets transported to the RTC as quick as they came in. To me, places like this are for people who want to retire, it’s an easy going job and the pay is alright.

There’s a lot more to life then sitting around doing the same thing. Your lady has limited insight into what EMS is about, sure the EMS system were she lives may be a little off target, is there a reason her ambulance is undermanned? I don’t know enough about this place to be making judgments.