Stethoscope Suggestions?

I have bought several of these stethoscopes for both me and my wife (we are both paramedics) The name brand is "KILA" and there is no difference in these and Littman brand other then the price. They come in a great package, with extra diaphragms & ear pieces . Here is a link from the company on E-Bay. Kilalabs on E-Bay You will not beat the price or quality of these anywhere. I had a Doctor ho has owned a Littman Master cardiaology for several years compare my KILA with his Littman and he stated there was no difference other then the name on the diaphragm.

Neither would be my choice. However, they are both very good scopes, and although overpriced, you can't go wrong with either one.

That said, the Master Classic is a significantly better scope, and worth the extra cost over the SE. Dual head scopes, like the SE, are inherently noisier than the single head scopes. And the bell head never really gets used by a medic anyhow. Another significant factor for quietness and being able to hear in an ambulance or noisy scene is tubing. The Cardiology series scopes have much heavier tubing, making them a lot quieter than the Classic series. If you can afford it, consider that.

I will reiterate though, that the SE is a very nice scope. And for just a paramedic working in EMS, it's more than he'll ever need. The real need for a scope any better than an SE would come only with significantly more education than a paramedic, and clinical practice (as opposed to EMS field practice, where he's not the only one who can't hear anything, lol).

All Littmanns are quality scopes that work as well as you will ever need. But so are several other manufacturers who are priced much lower. You definitely pay for the name with a Littmann. But hey, after two years of school, why not indulge yourself?

I have bought several of these stethoscopes for both me and my wife (we are both paramedics) The name brand is "KILA" and there is no difference in these and Littman brand other then the price. They come in a great package, with extra diaphragms & ear pieces . Here is a link from the company on E-Bay. Kilalabs on E-Bay You will not beat the price or quality of these anywhere. I had a Doctor ho has owned a Littman Master cardiaology for several years compare my KILA with his Littman and he stated there was no difference other then the name on the diaphragm.

I have 2 styles of Kila myself. Like them. Well worth the money.

I have the Littmann Lightweight II SE Stethoscope with an oblong diaphragm which comes in handy to slide under the BP cuff and you need an extra hand. I also have the Littmann Classic II Infant for my nursing rotations in the NICU (I want to be a NICU RN someday :) ). Both are great and good quality. The adult has lasted 5 years or so and I just got the infant one this spring. They were both gifts so I don't much know/care about the price, just as long as it works well enough to hear heart sounds accurately in a busy ED.

Single tube construction is the biggest one for me. As long as there aren't dual tubes chattering with each other, I can figure out what I'm supposed to be hearing...

I have a cheap single tube that I've had for years (which resurrected this morning as I lost an earpiece to my nice Littman that the future mother in law gave me... and it worked fine.)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.