Management of the seizure patient

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This patient needs benzodiazepines and may very well have paralytics and an ET tube on the horizon. None of which you can do at the BLS level.

Just got to keep in mind that paralytics don't control a seizure...they only stop the physical manifestations of it. To steal the topic from a different thread...it's time to SNOW this patient! :D

Management of the actively seizing pt. should always start with a trumpet and O2---then control of the seizure!

and someone seizing for 20 mins-----thats a long long time to be seizing.

Either the pt. was faking---or something funny is going on----there is strong potential for serious hypoxia and death with a seizure lasting that long. Yikes

Ok I missed this point ... you use a trumpet tube on all siezing patients ? what if there a head injury and basal skull fracture .... ever seen an xray of plastic in a brain ?

Ok I missed this point ... you use a trumpet tube on all siezing patients ? what if there a head injury and basal skull fracture .... ever seen an xray of plastic in a brain ?

Why not? It's hypoallergenic... :twisted:

Just got to keep in mind that paralytics don't control a seizure...they only stop the physical manifestations of it. To steal the topic from a different thread...it's time to SNOW this patient! :D

Good point. You can paralyze the pt, but their brain is still cooking. They need to be put on an EEG. Pentobarb comas work well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey watup. You know just because a two has the resposibility for the pt over a one does not mean you can not provide care. If you feel something needs to be done then you should do it. If you are an emt 1 2 or 3 then you provide care if it is the right call then what can happen to you. It sounds like your affraid of the lazy head emt that you are working with? You can't always do everything exactly to the current medical standards,they are always changing and or improving. It sounds to me without over correcting everyone you just need to take action to do everything you can to do the right thing for the patient.

Have neer been in that situation. The ones I have had were postictal or started seizing right after drop off. If it were to happen in the rural setting, knowing there is nothing I can do, my better option would be to try to load and go and make sure I have ALS intercept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.