New Medic Jitters

AMESEMT

By the way my advice is also to ignore stuff like this:

4. Transport all drunks, everyone under age 5, and everyone over age 70 regardless of complaint, until you get 5 years of experience under your belt.

Just because you are a new medic doesn't mean you turn your brain off and start indiscriminately taking patients to the hospital out of fear that you might miss something. That's ridiculous.

If ever you get to a point where you feel the call is getting out of hand STOP! Take a deep breath, then continue. Also, it is NOT YOUR emergency...you are only there to help, which is often to restore a sense of order upon chaos. Best wishes! Have fun! And be safe!

Sorry, not trying to insult anyone's intelligence or skill level with my "rules of transport", it is just that it is these patients that medics typically get in trouble with (rookies and veterans) due to the absence of the ability to do x-rays or labs. Almost every horror story of the patient that should have been transported and wasnt, falls into one of those groups. And lets face it, in alot of systems the new guy gets put with the asshole no one else can work with (after orientation), who is likely to be lazy and not transport patients that they should. Its a bad situation to be the rookie medic and new employee who is questioning the crusty veteran who has been doing this for 5-20 years.

And arizona gave you a good pointer there about a deep breath -- I would only add, when intubating, suctioning, or bagging a patient, dont forget to hold your breath until you have ventilated them. Patients dont get brain damage because medics fail to intubate them, they get brain damage because medics fail to ventilate them. If you hold your breath every second that a patient isnt being ventilated, it will remind you to get back to bagging (rookie medics tend to dig around in the airway for 2-3 minutes before they remember to ventilate the patient again).