Spare Parts: Home-grown style...

Eydawn

Looks like they were able to grow a mainstem bronchus to transplant into this TB patient. It's wicked cool, if you ask me!

MSNBC NEWS: Doctors Transplant Windpipe

What do y'all think? The stem cells came from her bone marrow in her hip! I think it rocks, personally.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one says stem cell research is bad, it's embryonic stem cell research that is what all the flack is about. Of course the liberal biased media just wants to lump it all into one. There are an untold amount of stem cells from a newborn's cord blood that have shown way more promise than that from aborted fetuses.

Why is it that the media is always "liberal" and "biased"? Especially when they say something an individual doesn't like! I don't get it. Anyway...

I fully realize this is going to open a huge can of worms, but here it goes.

Abortion, no matter your personal feelings, is a legal medical procedure in the United States. So why not use stem cells obtained from what's left, from a *legal* medial procedure, to contribute to ongoing research?

Discuss. Politely and with respect towards other participants, if you please.

-be safe

The liberal bias isn't just my thoughts, it's been proven time after time.

However, if they were using parts from a legal (no matter how you word it, it's murder) procedure that wouldn't be so bad, but they are creating human embryo's just for the stem cells to kill the embryo for research when there are better and other ways to do the same research without destroying a human life. An example like I gave before are the stem cells from cord blood.

The liberal bias isn't just my thoughts, it's been proven time after time.

Proven? Whatever. Let's stick to the topic at hand.

...(no matter how you word it, it's murder)...

Well, the procedure is legal so no. It's not murder.

...but they are creating human embryo's just for the stem cells to kill the embryo for research when there are better and other ways to do the same research without destroying a human life.

Who is "they"? Are you seriously accusing women of going out and getting pregnant simply for the stem cells that could be obtained from the after effects of a terminated pregnancy? Is there a market for this? Are women being paid to do this?

-be safe

Some of the original embryonic stem cell lines were from embryos that were created in laboratories from ova and sperm. The fertilization was conducted much like for in-vitro fertilization, but when the embryos reached the blastocyst stage the inner cell mass was removed, effectively "killing" any potential for the embryo to develop and become a human baby and harvesting those totipotent stem cells that people think will be the panacea.

As to your argument, I have to say that abortion is controversial enough and women undergoing it often not in frames of mind to effectively make decisions that they know they are ethically comfortable with, so getting a woman to release the aborted embryo for scientific research is difficult ground, ethcially, legally and morally.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Abortion, no matter your personal feelings, is a legal medical procedure in the United States. So why not use stem cells obtained from what's left, from a *legal* medial procedure, to contribute to ongoing research?

1) The *legal* part is held together by a fine thread. There are still many who view abortion as murder.

2) Even though cadavers are used on a regular basis, many people view dead fetuses as more sacred.

3) The possibility of profiting from a dead fetus is viewed darkly.

Views on this topic are based on emotions and religious beliefs. You are unlikely to change ones emotional base or religious beliefs, you only win by having more people who share your opinion.

Personally, I find it funny that the same person can be pro-choice and against the death penalty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.