EMS in the Obama Administration

UMSTUDENT

Exactly. Don't worry about it. The amount of waste on fire service equipment is astounding while most EMS programs scrape by on a day-to-day basis. There are too many fire departments getting too many shiny new fire engines while EMS, which runs 80% of the calls in this country, gets shafted. All I'm saying.

It is my understanding that the EMS system has come a long way since its inception forty years ago. To really make a difference on the administrative level of EMS there needs to be more people (perhaps more like you) who have the desire to see a big change in the profession. It can happen.

My circumstances are much different from yours and others in the country.

I still am not sure what you were saying by throwing Sara Palin's name in the mix.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total bullshyte. There's already too much money being spent on "first responders" as it is. The problem is not money. The problem is where the money is being spent. It's going to the firemonkeys and cops for multi million dollar mobile command posts and trailers full of NBC gear and first responder training. Despite the rhetoric, EMS does not even fall within the scope of that "support". That's exactly why we have to extricate ourselves from this abusive family we call "public safety" and throw down with medicine.

Couldnt agree more Dust... I look at all these big new fancy toys popping up around my area and while Im greatfull we have them, what difference does that command post make when my choking on mustard gas a$$ is being hauled off by some burnt out (probably from poor finances leading to personal issues) medic in an ambulance thats had its rear axel replaced a dozen times and twice was pulled O.O.S for exhaust venting into the cab?

It is apparent that the money seeking corporate EMS systems are the major problem holding us back. I wanted to work for an ambulance service that was all EMS, no fire. But when I realized the wages they pay Basics in the region I lived with AMR, I was disgusted. I could make that much flipping burgers, and I have a family to take care of. It is embarrassing. And the public doesn't even realize that their emergency responders are paid so little. Fortunately, I found a fire service that is primarily an ambulance service. Unfortunately, I had to move to a different state to find it. It truly is a great situation that I have with the city fire department. We are an EMS minded fire department who puts fires out sometimes, and we know it.

Federal programs are great. Federal control is not great... at all. But when a state gets the proper funding then the county/city can get the proper funding. Ideally, it all starts federal. Do I want a politician in D.C. telling me how to operate in a town that they have never even heard of? No way.

In Alaska, there is too much money circulating. This is due to the cultivation of natural resources. Because of this, city/state employees are able to budget in a fashion that is productive to growth. Therefore, the Alaskan model is going to be in a different category than the lower 48 states. But because of the existence of the Alaskan model, and the EMS system available here, the government can see the potential for other EMS systems when there is a little extra financing in the right department. I'm not trying to say that Alaska is a brilliant, spotless EMS system. But the fact remains that I am making more than twice as much to do the same job, and all training is paid for and highly encouraged.

There is such a thing as effective EMS without corporate attachment. I hope that whatever funding is available in the Obama administration is able to find a good home; and for those who need it most: speak up and speak loud, otherwise it may never find that home.

Id just let it go dude... probably a joke, at least thats how I interprited it.

So it's one of those "insert laugh here" jokes. I'm afraid I just don't get it.

What was your interpretation? I'm not emotionally attached to the comment, I just want to know the intention behind the words typed.

Granted I come from a fire background - thus the user name, I am solely EMS now (though I run volly fire) and while my department has some of the nicest stuff in the area and I think overall some great stuff, it's a shame that fire can easily obtain new equipment whatever they need through the multiple homeland security grants and EMS is left to fend for itself. FF have lucrative pensions, as do PD - heck here there is incentive pay to be a FF, there is no incentive to get your medic - what gives? All their additional training is paid for - few EMS departments are able to offer this. Recerts in FD are totally paid for, few in EMS are. Fire schools are a chance for many to go and party for a weekend getting drunk in a hotel with things fully paid for - few EMS services can afford to send their people to quality con ed programs locally to improve knowledge. Saddest part is, fire uses EMS to boost their run volume to support their existance and while yes, both should have quality dependable equipment, I feel the priority should go to the service with the highest true run volume which in the majority of areas will always be EMS (and I'm not talking FD first response using that either). Perhaps the hospital based model really isn't that far off - we should really be grouped more with public health than with public safety but hey, what do I know, I'm just a lowly medic. Oh, and btw, I did give obama's website my two cents - not like it will be read but then I feel I can at least complain if I have given my opinion I have that right.

The reason you make double in Alaska is the same as those who are making double in Iraq -- no one wants to go there, so they have to pay a premium. The same would happen everywhere if medics quit working 100 hours per week --- our pay is a supply and demand equation, we just wont let the true lack of supply be seen, so our pay stays stagnant.

The reason you make double in Alaska is the same as those who are making double in Iraq -- no one wants to go there, so they have to pay a premium. The same would happen everywhere if medics quit working 100 hours per week --- our pay is a supply and demand equation, we just wont let the true lack of supply be seen, so our pay stays stagnant.

Some want to be in Alaska. Some want to be in Iraq. The reasons are very different. I chose Alaska so I can escape the thoughtlessness and carelessness of the city lifestyle and the rat race that I was born into. Naturally, that is a different conversation entirely. However, their is a relationship here. It is the carelessness and thoughtlessness of city life that got most of these terrible EMS systems where they are today.

Perhaps an emphasis on public health instead of public safety would be beneficial (simple foundational language characteristics can make a huge difference in perception). Ultimately, we all want to be taken seriously, right?

Sounds interesting, how is Alaska EMS different from regular old US EMS ?

When I started working up here, I found out there are three levels of EMT in the state standard before paramedic. Everyone in the EMS system seems like they are committed to achieving all three stages before attempting paramedic school. Which is surprising. In California, everyone just operates at the basic level for a couple years, and then jumps into paramedic school. Up here, the stages gradually introduce advanced techniques while maintaining focus on BLS. It seems like it is far more productive for the human mind to undergo that kind of conditioning. Paramedics are on a far looser chain up here in terms of medical direction also. The MICP's are trained to be more off-line than in the lower 48, due to the isolated areas. All of the medics I have met up here are like walking medical encyclopedias... really very knowledgeable. I thing the state regulations have a lot to do with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.