Another Idiot Opposes Progress in NJ EMS Standards

spenac

To be fair, my understanding is that a nasal cannula is appropriate for patients suffering from chest pain absent shortness of breath. If the hospital they are transporting to has a cathlab and it's only a 5 minute transport, why waste time calling for paramedics?

You are quite correct. Again, for the upteenth time, there is nothing magic about oxygen and it is often given to patients who either do not require it or in flows above what is required. The American mentality of oh slap everybody on fifteen litres needs to go.

We have some totally volunteer ambulance stations here however the volunteer Officers are required to be at what we call Ambulance Technician level. This (for the volunteers) is about a 24 week part-time course which enables them to use oxygen, salbutamol, methoxyflurane, GTN, aspirin, glucagon, ondansetron and paracetamol plus do cardiac monitoring.

As an Officer gains this qualification they are considered an "Ambulance Assistant" and have no independant clinical ability except to use an AED and provide advanced first aid. They can however provide the Ambulance Technician scope provided they are supervised by a Paramedic or Intensive Care Paramedic.

The volunteers are also taught if the patient is really sick or something they cannout use thier bag of tricks on to call for somebody higher qualified to come towards them. Most of the time it will be a Paramedic although even with upskilling there are one or two situations which will still require an Intensive Care Paramedic.

Holy crap somebody had fun marking negatives on this very old topic. Some people just are not intelligent enough to have a negative button.

Were you drunk when you posted that, or were the negatives removed by someone?

I don't see any negatives (or positives either, for that mater). :unsure:

I posted a positive for a user. It's not there. So, I'm going to assume someone negatived the positive. I had the urge to down one person. Everyone has their opinion, and then some people I'd just like to hit with my heavy, glass, MASH Vodka/IV thing. :fish:

Sensitive subject, if it directly affects you. Doesn't me. I have no need for New Jersey, seriously. But, I have no sympathy for the volunteers who fear progress. I spent all eleven years I've been an EMT, fighting against people that think like that. Made some high marks, too, made some enemies. But in the end, everyone was a little better off, and some people are still pissed off.

I look at it this way. Why now? Suddenly, all this expensive change, in New Jersey EMS. Why? Because they're thirty years behind, they've been fighting to keep things "simple". EMS ain't simple, and this is what they have to pay for, literally and figuratively, for dragging their feet for over thirty years. I get the NJFAC Newsletter, why, I have no idea, it's been coming for several years. It can be interesting.

It's like reading about the local services, if the date on the cover were 1978. I like their articles on recruitment and retention. Our goal is moving on, to a bigger and brighter future, with paid staffing and a medic unit. It will happen, we fought hard to get to a position to make it possible. Now, we build to that goal. I have no problem, with a volunteer agency, with a goal. If they're fighting tooth and nail to stay in the past, go join a country club, EMS isn't a hobby.

They must've been removed. Someone came through and posted a bunch of negative marks on anyone with even a remotely disparaging comment about volunteers.

They must've been removed. Someone came through and posted a bunch of negative marks on anyone with even a remotely disparaging comment about volunteers.

When this topic was first revived someone posted a negative on every one of my comments. Wish if someone decides to negative multiple posts of one person. Wish they were man or woman enough to post why.

When this topic was first revived someone posted a negative on every one of my comments. Wish if someone decides to negative multiple posts of one person. Wish they were man or woman enough to post why.

because if they posted why they'd be proven to be idiots. Those who go through and post negatives to people they don't like, just because they don't like them, are Dumbtards.

Being a volunteer from NJ can I ask why all the hostility on the board twords us? I understand about the FAC and some squads not being the best caliber but why blanket wash all volies as a whole? I know some great EMTs that are volies, I also know folks on my squad that will call ALS in a heartbeat if they believe its above their expertise or the patient requires it.

As an example.... MVA w/ minor injuries but pt stated she was a diabetic and hadn't taken her meds today. ALS dispatched and checked pt.. released to BLS. Only reason for the ALS was the blood sugar, better have her checked then not.

Edited by UGLyEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.