Working on a mystery...

chbare

from same article referenced

lightning strikes show on the 12 Lead as peaked T-waves.

here's the quote

Pertinent data: EKG on arrival to the community

hospital revealed sinus tachycardia with a normal

axis, and peaked T waves in the precordial leads

V2–V4 (Fig. 2). Twenty-four hours later, EKG revealed

normal sinus rhythm with high QRS voltage

and early repolarization.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we have a full update on pt status? and disrobe the pt.

While maintaining (or initiating) spinal immobilization assess:

LOC, is he a GCS of 3?

Any spontaneous respirations?

Lung sounds/ chest rise?

Vitals at the moment are: RR- assisted @ 10-12/min,

HR - about 70 with Paroxysmal VT (how long are these runs? What is the rate and does he have a pulse? Some amiodarone might help)

BP- 70 systolic (Can we try and fix this? let's give him a fluid bolus)

Skin is??

SpO2 is 90% or thereabouts with assisted ventilations

ETCO2 is?? Now that we have slowed down the ventilatory rate?

Pupils are dilated and sluggish to constrict

CBG is??

Are there any other injuries noted? What does a secondary exam tell us?

GCS: 3

No spontaneous respiratory activity.

Unable to obtain a pulse oximetry waveform.

ETCO2 is currently 28.

Hard to get a pressure in the other arms as it is obviously deformed mid humerous.

Clear lung sounds with equal bilateral chest rise and fall noted.

Skin is pale.

BGL: 112mg/dl

Additional assessments are unchanged from the findings stated above.

Current pulse is 120 weak and irregular at the carotid. You note approx three to four 7 complex runs of unifocal ventricular tachycardia per minute.

How much fluid will we give?

Lidocaine versus Amiodarone? What do you all think?

Still waiting on a scene update.

Labs:

WBC: 15

HBG: 15

HCT: 45

NA: 133

K: 5.4

CL: 102

BUN: 30

Creat: 3

Myoglobin: 570

CK: 1000

CKMB: Pending

Trop: Pending

What do you want done at the ER?

Take care,

chbare.

How much fluid will we give?

Lidocaine versus Amiodarone? What do you all think?

Lido vs Amio...simple for me...we don't carry amio, so that kinda narrows it down :|. I tend to dose Lido at 1mg/kg bolus with a drip of .5mg/kg (easier math).

Labs:

WBC: 15

HBG: 15

HCT: 45

NA: 133

K: 5.4

CL: 102

BUN: 30

Creat: 3

Myoglobin: 570

CK: 1000

CKMB: Pending

Trop: Pending

Correct me if I'm wrong, but his myoglobin and CK are elevated. Couple this with increased K, BUN, & Creat., I am seeing rhabdo on the not-to-distant horizon. So, fluid wise, start no less than 2 large bore iv's, one with NS for blood (although some recent studies show LR undoctored does NOT cause clotting with donor whole blood[sup:188a857b60]1[/sup:188a857b60]), and 1 LR, running at the "20ml/kg bolus," which in reality would run wide open for no less than 3 liter. I'd even consider an albuterol tx to help shift the K and see if that changes his rhythm before lido. Get him to a trauma center, even better if it also has a burn unit.

[sup:188a857b60]1[/sup:188a857b60]http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3225/is_n2_v58/ai_21038661

Good job everybody. I think people realized the cause pretty early on in this scenario. However, I wanted to discuss things further before giving the cause away. Initially, we were presented with a trauma scenario; however, additional investigation led us to suspect other problems than a simple fall.

During the patient's course, he in fact develops rhabdo and has continued hemodynamic instability. Fluids along with pressors are needed to "stabilize" his pressure. After the first couple of days, he ends up developing compartment syndrome of the extremities and require surgical intervention. You have him "stabilized" in the ICU following the said interventions when you note decreased urinary output and increased ventilatory pressures. What do you think?

Take care,

chbare.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a fasciotomy or three.

Compartment syndrome is going to destroy our ability to ventilate, and his ability to perfuse.

Sooooo, do we know anything about his health over the past fews days prior to the event? Is he on a diet? Has he been over-doing it at work...straining himself on the project?

Due to his abnormal labs and rhabdo, they may be pointing in the direction of CPTII...?? :roll: just a guess 8)