I need an Educational Favor....

I chose to put this in the EMS Discussion thread because I thought it would get reviewed by more people, and even though it has to do with a project I've given my class, I'll get the most feedback in a "mainstream" forum.

I have tasked my EMT class with Designing, and stocking their dream ambulance. Money is no option (at this point) and they can have any toys they want. I'm having difficulty finding good specifications (including price) from any of the Ambulance manufacturers... actually one manufacturer has donated his personal time to assist one group.... What I need from my EMT City Family is an idea of what an ambulance costs...bonus for you if you have purchased recently and still have some of the specs.

Your reward...a photo of the class you helped, and knowledge that you've helped a good group complete their project.

Thanks in advance,

JoAnne

We recently[ OCT 1st ] signed a contract for a new type III Pl Custom ALS Medallion on a Ford E 450 chassis. :D

The contract price came in at $!43,000 .

Add in around 68 thousand for our inventory of Equipment and consumables that will be transferred from our current truck.

The ambulance bid specification I wrote was 28 pages long.

Send me your E-mail address in a PM and I'll forward a copy of the bid spec to you.

Just so you & the students understand that this spec if for a top of the line type III ALS transport truck with a lot of safety & user options. There are much cheaper units out there , just not too many as well built , & with as good a warrantee package. In ambulances , you get what you pay for. Our current truck has lasted 13 years and still has very few problems except for age related wear.

It would help teach them some of the business aspects of the EMS industry. I have talked to EMT's that did not realize that it cost on average of $500k a year, to place, staff and support one ambulance. I think it is good to show the students a different side of EMS.

It would help teach them some of the business aspects of the EMS industry. I have talked to EMT's that did not realize that it cost on average of $500k a year, to place, staff and support one ambulance. I think it is good to show the students a different side of EMS.

Right now the scenarios or projects we're running in the allied health programs are about budgets cuts. Essentially it centers around a given budget that they had initially helped develop with all of the essentials as well as a feel extras and then it is cut by 5 - 10% depending on the program . The decision is who or what would you cut from direct patient care and still be able to provide quality care. Even a 2 or 3% cut for a budget scenario is an eye opener for some.

They also get a good overview of the American medical reimbursement system and how that can change at any given moment with various legislation and consolidations/mergers or a change in the tax base population for some areas. We find the students enter the workplace with not only a better understanding but an appreciation for the costs of many aspects or to the people including the taxpayers and patients. There is then no disillusionment in their chosen careers when they work for different agencies or facilities with some being the "haves" and some being the "have nots". Too many come into the profession and become disgruntled easily because they have no idea how their system works and how many factors control it.