Old EMT to new EMT Student

I was certified in 1994 to 1996 and then again from 1999 to 2001. The first time around there were not so many changes. But OMG at all the changes now. New CPR changes, new AED's seeing things out in the field that ALS providers can do, a sternum IO. I am so excited to get back into things but it is kind of hard comming from the streets from way back to having to go to the classroom sitting again. But I am having fun and love my instructor.

I'm confused. In the other thread, you say you are currently employed in a rural system. In this thread, you are still just an EMT student. :dontknow:

Regardless, you shouldn't have any trouble with this. It's not rocket surgery. It's just wrote memorisation of cookbook technical first aid skills. If you learned it once, you can learn it again. But the difficulty you are seeing is a clear example of why you should begin your paramedic education immediately after you renew your EMT cert. The more old baggage you have in your head, the harder it is to learn new tricks. And the more time you spend as an EMT, the harder it is to teach you to be a paramedic. And let's face it, where you are working, they need paramedics, not EMTs! Get 'er done! Good luck!

The longer your an EMT the more experience you get.....

And the more experience you get, the more bad habits and mistaken notions you acquire that must be broken in paramedic school.

It is always easier to build a new house than to fix someone else's poor foundation.