Non English Speaking Patients

Timmy

And I also mention that Mel Brooks, who provided the voice of so many of the Warner Brothers cartoon characters, is supposed to have combined some East Flatbush with some north Bronx (another of the 5 counties that make up the Greater City of New York), and the result became the speaking voice of "Bugs Bunny".

I know you meant Mel Blanc. I have confused them both myself before now.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully agree that those who come to the US should learn the native language, just need to come up with a proper name for it as "English" it is not.

Dude, you suffer from the same problem as so many other immigrants to America. They get off the boat at Ellis Island and think they are in America. You're not. You're in New York. And no, they do not speak English in New York. I dunno WTF it is that they speak. The name I give it cannot be posted on a G-rated forum. But it is very definitely not English, so do not judge the rest of the country's verbal literacy by what passes for English in New York.

Dude, you suffer from the same problem as so many other immigrants to America. They get off the boat at Ellis Island and think they are in America. You're not. You're in New York. And no, they do not speak English in New York. I dunno WTF it is that they speak. The name I give it cannot be posted on a G-rated forum. But it is very definitely not English, so do not judge the rest of the country's verbal literacy by what passes for English in New York.

:D point taken

One of our traveling nurses came from "the south"...forgive me but I forget which state, as I only enquired once seeing as we only worked together a few times. But it was very nice to listen to, and a break from the coarseness of NY.

The UK has it's fair share of "lower social end" accents and dialects, and no one really speaks the traditional "BBC" way. I used to play this (below) when I got home sick, and it snapped me out of it.

A disgruntled young scally-wag from my roots (Glasgow, Scotland, UK) - and yes, it IS in English, albeit with heavy local dialect and slang terminology.

...And no, they do not speak English in New York. I dunno WTF it is that they speak...

I dno WTF they speak either Dust; but between thier myriad of accents and some guy asking how to get the 6 train being told "yo, do I look like a freakin map to you?" it sure makes for an interesting time 8)

Oh and for the record; I used to work with a Scottish chick who used to talk really fast and was quite hyper, man I couldn't understand a word she said :lol: (nice girl tho)

Oh and for the record; I used to work with a Scottish chick who used to talk really fast and was quite hyper, man I couldn't understand a word she said :lol: (nice girl tho)

Did she ever ask you to "tap [her] a fag!"?

Then you get these Aussies and Canuckistanians who can't decide whether they are going to speak English or American, so they combine the two into some kind of hybrid, so as not to offend anyone. What's up with that anyhow? :roll:

Although, my family parlayed the combination of English, German, and Dutch into a truly confusing language of it's own. :?

The general consensus I seem to have found is, at least in New York City, to get around linguistically in EMS, you have to speak (in no particular order) German, Russian, Serbian, Croatian, Italian, a minimum of 5 Chinese dialects, Urdu, Farsi, Hebrew, Yiddish, Polish, French, Swedish, and some crazy language called English. This is not including whatever the native languages are called (sorry, I don't know the actual names) of the Souix, Pawnee, Arapaho, Navajo, Mohawk, and other "Native American/First Nation" people, commonly known as "Indians".

How you missed Spanish and Spanglish in your list I will never know :lol: