New 5.11 Pants

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another cheaply made pair of pants made in China.

I'll stick with Fechheimer or Elbeco which still has most of their uniform pants made in the U.S.A.

Buy American or go home!

Wow, I've never heard "cheap" as a description for 5.11 before. :shock:

They must be doing something right as they are quite popular, especially in this neck of the woods (or desert I suppose)......................................

Wow, I've never heard "cheap" as a description for 5.11 before. :shock:

They must be doing something right as they are quite popular, especially in this neck of the woods (or desert I suppose)......................................

Yeah, they're popular just like LED lights and Star Of Life tattoos, and all the other things that whackers flock to. They're popular because they have "the look", not because they are superior in any way to any other pants. Never heard of anyone who actually liked those slash pockets on the back, that cause your wallet to sit down on your thigh instead of your arse. Never seen anyone find a use for that web strap on the back. They're quality pants, for sure. But they sell because of the whacker look, more than anything else.

Yeah, they're popular just like LED lights and Star Of Life tattoos, and all the other things that whackers flock to. They're popular because they have "the look", not because they are superior in any way to any other pants. Never heard of anyone who actually liked those slash pockets on the back, that cause your wallet to sit down on your thigh instead of your arse. Never seen anyone find a use for that web strap on the back. They're quality pants, for sure. But they sell because of the whacker look, more than anything else.

Why do you shit on everything? I'm not a "whacker" as you put it. How does your uni look? Do you even care what people think of you? Why shit on everything?

Why do you shit on everything? I'm not a "whacker" as you put it. How does your uni look? Do you even care what people think of you? Why shit on everything?

Find a better way to prove it than that. Or be proud of it. Righteous indignation isn't going to get you too far.

I like the pants and have been considering buying them. Yes to some they may make me look like a whacker. Who cares. I'll let my actions speak for my competency (which is still developing), take the ribbing that goes with flashy pants, or too much crap on your belt, or whatever whackerish quirk some medics have (and as a student/newbie I expect to be ribbed on anything/everything). Whacker's partially the gear, the junk and the t-shirts worn 24-7 but I'd say its mainly an attitude.

Excellence can make up for the little crap and good humour will let the rest roll off your back.

- Matt

P.S. Remember, there's a fine line between keener and wiener.

5.11 makes a durable, quality product, for sure. I own one of their jackets and a rucksack. But they market their stuff primarily to public safety personnel. Consequently, that's really the only people you see wearing it. That has created a whacker culture around those stupid pants. It's like people wear them just to say, "Hey, look at me! I'm 'public safety'!", like a secret handshake or something. The big ugly belt loops are stupid, and get in the way of putting a cellphone, knife, radio, camera, or anything else on your belt. The slash rear pockets are uncomfortable as Hell, if you put anything in them. The web strap across the back just catches on stuff, and serves no purpose. The D ring serves no other purpose than to make a lot of noise in your dryer. They are seriously overpriced, compared to comparable pants. Really, they rate only slightly below a stethoscope draped over your rearview mirror on the whacker scale. But hey... whatever gets you off.

Dust, see this is the part you don't understand..................

When I am out of the wire and single handedly fighting off insurgents with my lanyard and blinding them with my reflective belt, I have to have my 5.11's to look cool! :lol:

Seriously though, the slant pockets really don't bother me, I have a flat a$$ anyways. I like them, especially the TacLite Pro's, because they keep me cool, they fit well, and are water and stain resistant. I don't need the deep pockets as I do not need to put anything other than a camera in them. Trauma shears are in the truck, on my vest, and attached to my jump bag. I don't carry a cellphone, my therapist doesn't allow me to carry a knife, and half the time I forget my radio. :lol:

Not to mention they are a 100% tax write off!

But admit it, I do look pretty fly in 'em! :lol:

• 4 years later...

I love my 5.11 Tac pants. I usually wear them all the time. Navy at work then Khaki or the Sierra color when off.

Dustdevil I can tell you I use that Web piece alot when teaching anything "rope Rescue" related. I'm always Clipping extra biners on the back there to keep them out of my way and hands till I need them. Otherwise there's no use for it.

Question for those with the 5.11 EMT pants. Do they have the Straps that hold Shears and tape on both sides? Just curious as Im strictly a Lefty.

Stubs, welcome to the site. Unfortunately, DustDevil will not be able to respond to your post. He died a while back after a battle with ALS. It may be easy to miss but be careful about the dates of some of these threads. They can go back several years.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.