Nebraska Mother Sues EMT, County over Death

Dustdevil

A few things that the article does not mention; the EMT in question is ALSO an EMT INSTRUCTOR and an AHA BLS Regional Faculty. This item (V-Vac) is commonly used in EMS, and as an EMT at the least, and an EMT Instructor overall he should have know to REMOVE THE RED CAP before suctioning. THEN, he did not recognize that he had an airway obstruction when he tried to ventilate the patient? Also, the article mentioned "Once the defibrillator began working, crews used a bag valve mask to start breathing ventilation. After five minutes, Cover ceased ventilation and called for suction". That at least IMPLIES that the patient had a shockable rhythm to start with if the defibrillator was "working" and was potentially salvagable. You expect better from someone who is supposedly as highly trained as this individual. He either needs to surrender his license or have it removed.

Oh my.... so, not only does this show that the EMT in question did not know the equipment, but also that they only knew IKEA EMS "push tab A into slot B, and with a few simple tools and a few moments of your time, you can build it"... they knew the recipe, but not the WHY.... and what makes it even scarier, is that this person is an instructor,.... so how many students has this person sent into the world with less than acceptable education? What a scary thought.

The above poster is right... we DO expect better... and not only should we expect better, we should DEMAND better. This person should have handed in their license immediately.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Oh my.... so, not only does this show that the EMT in question did not know the equipment, but also that they only knew IKEA EMS "push tab A into slot B, and with a few simple tools and a few moments of your time, you can build it"... they knew the recipe, but not the WHY

I didn't know they had IKEA stores in Canada.

That is even better then the term Knobologist which I use occasionally. However, this guy didn't come close to even qualifying for that title.

And you know what the county's response to all this will be, right?

"The guy graduated from school. He passed the national standard examination for certification. We had every reason to believe he knew wtf he was doing!"

That's a big ass red cap to be lost in someones mouth.

Ya it would probably cover half your thumb!

I don't see how this is even possible, didn't he feel terrible compliance with the BVM?

Also, the article mentioned "Once the defibrillator began working, crews used a bag valve mask to start breathing ventilation. After five minutes, Cover ceased ventilation and called for suction". That at least IMPLIES that the patient had a shockable rhythm to start with if the defibrillator was "working" and was potentially salvagable.

Really?

While a Murray emergency medical technician began compressions, Cover connected and hooked up an automated external defibrillator, a portable electronic device that allows the heart to re-establish an effective rhythm.

Once the defibrillator began working, crews used a bag valve mask to start breathing ventilation. After five minutes, Cover ceased ventilation and called for suction, the lawsuit stated.

I agree that it sounds like the AED was applied, but that's as far as it goes. Basing any other assumptions about workable rhythms and the like on this news article which was written off information gathered from the plaintiff's lawsuit may just leave you with a bad taste of foot-in-mouth if you're not careful. Just saying.

MOBEY

I don't see how this is even possible, didn't he feel terrible compliance with the BVM?

MY guess with calling for suction at 5 min there was poor ventilations to begin with and stomache contents presented themselves. With the stomache being emptied there was now a space to push that air. So not sure he would of felt any compliance with the BVM at that point. But had eyes been open clearly they should of seen the ABD get larger with each ventilation. Just a thought

• 2 months later...

The boy might be screwed. The lawyer wants to take a "not viable" approach, then why was he working the patient. Apparently, he didn't see obvious signs of mortality and can't "call it" .I doubt the complaintant's counselor will let that slip past. We all have had absolutely hopeless patients with a 0.0001% chance, we gave it our all "just in case" you're wrong and they will at least give the family the chance for closure by saying "bye" to them and "pulling the plug". ( And you were right every time and they don't make it, I'm guessing)

I don't know if this guy just got excited and tossed the "not working" suction down and didn't notice the bright red tip was now yellow. I couldn't tell you why he didn't find out why it wasn't working. I think it's easy to see this case and put it in context of a substandard performance that one has witnessed in the past. It sounds like he wasn't seasoned enough to override his own adrenaline with a young person in full arrest.

I have had a time or two where I had noticed something not right and said: Glad I saw that, it could have been bad. This one slipped past him for whatever reason and went unnoticed.

I want to know if the doc fished it from the mouth or pulled it out of the trachea. That seems more definitive. Let this be a lesson to us all. Instead of looking at it and saying "dumb ass", think of any close calls you have had that could have been seen as your fault if you didn't catch it, esp. if when you where new, and count your blessings. The lawsuit is not about if it was an accident or not. It is whether it's his fault or not. The word "mistake" makes it his fault. That has not been decided yet.

Learn and be proficient with everything. Demand instructions- even is you 'already know how' who knows what you might get as bonus information. I have found many things being miused as standard practice. Know 'the motions' in your sleep, just in case you have some adrenaline or emotion get in the way. It will leave room for noticing an oops. (that last thing was more for the newest people).

and what makes it even scarier, is that this person is an instructor,.... so how many students has this person sent into the world with less than acceptable education? What a scary thought.

I think 99% of instructors are probably guilty of this. But I suppose the lack of education in EMS debate should be taken elsewhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.