Soliciting CLothing Donations for Afghani Kids

akflightmedic

Hey guys,

I am in a position currently where I have a lot of direct contact with injured Afghani children. These tykes are the collateral damage of the war for the most part. I am dealing with ages 2-10 years.

Anyways, we transport them to the NATO hospital, give them all the best care and surgery we can, and when they are ready for discharge to a local hospital or home, off they go.

However, during their stay, we like putting them in PJs and we have a shortage of them in theater obviously. We also like to send them home with clothes, especially with winter right around the corner.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I will provide an address for you to send clothes to. I will personally be receiving the boxes and distributing the clothes.

I do not expect you to go out and buy these items, unless you have the desire and the means, but if you happen to have some laying around, or have kids who have outgrown them, please send them on my way.

Bright colors, cartoon characters are enjoyed by kids of every culture, so keep that in mind please. A lot of these kids are now permanently disfigured or missing limbs and this is just one way to bring a little light and joy into their lives.

Thank you my friends....AK

Update for all the Canadians that have contacted me.

I have an address for you to ship to through the Canadian postal system and I believe it should be free of charge. That is what the Canuck posties here tell me anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Thank you to those who have responded. There has been some great clothing sent in; nice, very warm pieces that are going to be very useful and appreciated.

Boxes have started to arrive, here is the first load.

Afghankidclothes001.jpg

Me delivering them to the hospital.

Afghankidclothes008.jpg

This girl received one of the stuffed toys and a lollipop.

ToysfromJamesgoodwillpkgs1.jpg

I would like to add these words of a coworker who is the one who actually took care of the little girl and after seeing my post with the pictures thought a better explanation should be provided.

The person said "The only thing I dislike about these photos is that they make everything seem so clean...

This little girl was on a follow up visit secondary to having hand grenade shrapnel surgically removed from her legs bilaterally. Her clothes were worn very proudly, despite being dirty and tattered.

The the most heart rendering thing for me is that after several minutes of coaxing from myself and her father, this was the best smile she had to offer. There truly are no childish souls left in Afghanistan.

She had a difficult time accepting these gifts, and her father had to give her a

long explanation, complete with animated hand gestures, before she could believe that she would be allowed to touch them, and obviously had no place in her mind for the possibility that they were hers to keep.

God bless those that can't send things, but for those of you that can, you should remember this as a very proud thing that you've done."