Little bragging.. New facilities for OKC

Is there any prerequisites for this course? How many people do they knock back?

It is a a quote open door type program however; there is a process.. :lol: For entry level, you must have had completed at the least A & P I, some other general education such as math, science and be a current NREMT basic level. Personally, many of us feel experience is nice but alike the discussion here a clean slate is many times easier to mold and teach the right way without any prior prejudices.

One can obtain a "certificate" without attending all of the usual general education, but it is highly encouraged to obtain at least the associate degree level. As well, there are multiple bridge programs for nursing that are used to this program also the college itself has one, if the person so desires to choose that path.

I cannot say exactly what the "wash out" rate is, but it is not unusual to have several either quit or fail. Which I am proud to say not everyone can nor should be able to finish such a program. Something the Coordinator and I have discussed and agree upon.I believe currently there are three Paramedic classes going. Two traditional and we just started a pilot on-line Paramedic, which I am the clinical instructor (the only classroom instructor they will have). It is too early to determine the effectiveness but I believe it will be an alternative way of instructing if performed properly. All of the students can admit that it is definitively not any easier. I discussed with them last week, as most say they study at least 3-4 hours a day (minimum) as they are expected to know all objectives and perform thesis type research and projects as well. The lead instructor is a very well known, experienced and knowledgeable professor that demands excellence.

R/r 911

I would have SO much fun setting up that mock apartment scenario. I'd have the floor piled high with stinking trash, with just enough room to walk to the couch, and animal feces all over the rotting furniture, with a naked and malnourished toddler playing in the middle of it. Little remote control rats would run around the room as the students walk through. Crack pipe on the table. Empty disposable lighters, syringes, and malt liquor bottles everywhere. And, of course, a brand new giant big screen plasma TV in the middle of it all, with ESPN on the satellite dish. Alternate having either a Pit Bull or a guy with a gun jump out of the next room.

You would make many feel at home!....lol I can assure you as you are aware of, if they go on at least one clinical they can see at least one double wide with all of the above!

We had something VERY similar at Community College of Aurora- but the Basic students got count em... 2 days in there. It sat empty, waiting for the Paramedic students to be ready for it, most of the time. Ours was set up like a "house", with a separate control panel, video/microphone monitoring and recording, and the back module of an ambulance out the "back door" of the "house" but the cot didn't lock in and there was squat for supplies in there.

Virtual CCA EMS Simulator Tour

Once again, very jealous of your lab. There is some awesome potential there for great training and it sucks you didn't get a lot of access to it. The only good thing about our lab being in a portable outside is that we have near 24/7 access to the lab when it's not in use. Maybe I need to be leaving photos of these labs in our coordinators mailbox, might give him some ideas for next years budget. I'll be gone but someone else might benefit.

Here is a another news story, as we attempt to address the upcoming shortage of Paramedics, yet want quality over quantity.

http://www.koco.com/video/17775681/index.html

That was a weird story. Didn't seem to be a point to it. They said OCCC had a plan to deal with the shortage, but then never addressed what it was.