OH&S Assessment

Timmy

As part of my nursing training we have 30 hours of lectures dedicated to Occupational Health and Safety as well as numours assessments and oral presentations that form the module.

Let me enlighten you to my teacher, what a bundle of joy and an inspiration she is to us all! This teacher is a qualified nurse turned OH&S junkie, she now runs her own safety business working as a consultant and safety adviser. She was a nurse in the meat factory industry this sparked her passion for safety. She is the only women I know who has multiple post graduate degrees in OH&S.

She has ‘nurses back’ thus it was appropriate to build her house in such a way to allow ease of access and to conform to every aspect of safety. She has told us that the kitchen benches were build to her height, they made a ramp into the back yard so she can wheel her clothing basket to the clothes line, she has a mark in her bedroom floor so the children do not sit to close to the TV, she reads the manual before driving any car and so on an so forth.

Sitting though her class is an indescribable joy, simply orgasmic. It makes me jump for joy getting up in the morning knowing I have to endure 8 hours of touchier, stories from the meat factory and generally blowing safety out of the water. Contemplating suicide seems so easy as her whining, monotone voice drills into my eardrums.

Anyway, to the point. As part of our assessment we have a 50 page workbook which composes multiple, irrelative questions that have no meaning to healthcare what so ever. Deep within the workbook I have stumbled across a question that stumps me and I need your humble assistance. The questions reads as follows:

Activity 2.4 – Job Safety Analysis.

(Performance Criteria 1.2, 1.3, 4.4)

As an individual discuss the following point in a written submission.

Document a job safety analysis for “making a cup of instant coffee” (whit with one sugar)

There is a table printed bellow it reads:

-Task

-Step

-Hazards

-Safe Work Method

Apart from the hot water and some form of minor soft tissue injury I have no clue as to what else to write. I have 10 spaces to fill. Can anyone enlighten me to a further 8?

As far as I’m concerned this book is a safety issue! I literally have pain from neck spasm and a throbbing tension headache after 4 hours of flicking though a voluptuous manual based on legislation and nemours legal requirements within the workplace.

In true Timmy style I have left this assignment till 3 days before the due date and so far 4 hours has dug me in 10 pages deep. 10 pages of 50… Looks like tomorrow will have to be a 12 hour effort!

Oh happy day! :D

As one who has studied and worked as safety officer, you need to really, I mean really break it down to an insane level of stupidity. You would not believe some of the drivel I have written for such a simple task.

I am going to take a few liberties as you did not specify, but let us assume you are using an electrical coffee pot, as I do not know any other way to make coffee....LOL.

Task: Prepare a cup of instant coffee

Steps:

Ensure coffee pot is intact with no chipped glass.

Ensure power cord is not frayed, cut, or damaged.

Ensure the correct voltage is being supplied to the coffee pot...i.e 110V or 220V

Ensure coffee pot is on a fire resistant surface and in the workplace it has to have a matting to collect any spillage form accidental overflow or spills.

Ensure proper fire control is present at all times, such as a fire extinguisher within 10 feet.

Fill top of coffee pot with water.

Add coffee grounds and filter.

Turn coffee pot on.

Once coffee drips thru and collects into the pot, you must now remove the pot from the machine to pour into your mug.

Carefully to avoid touching the hot pot, remove the pot and approach the mug.

Ensure the mug is resting on a counter, as you do not want to be holding it with your other hand whilst pouring, as you might suffer a burn.

Be sure to have slight space between your body and the counter where you are pouring the coffee in case of any back splash that may burn your skin or get into your eyes.

Once coffee is poured, return the pot safely to the machine and put it in its proper resting place.

When walking back and forth with this pot full of hot coffee, be sure no one else is around, especially little ones as you may spill it upon them.

When you put the pot back in the machine, ensure the power is disconnected or turned off as you do not want the burner to stay hot and continue heating the pot.

Now you are ready to add you sugar. Is the sugar in a packet or is this a lump of sugar?

If it is a packet, carefully tear the packet and avoid a paper cut on your finger.

Pour the sugar into the coffee and stir.

Stir gently with proper utensil as you do not want it to splash out and burn your skin. Do not stir with your finger or any other object not designed for insertion into steaming hot liquids.

Safe work method would include:

Mentally reviewing all these hazards prior to task at hand.

Protect skin and eyes when needed.

No rushed or sudden movements.

etc etc

I hope all this gave you an idea of what she probably expects based on your description of her.

Good Luck!

Lol thanks AK, much appreciated!

How negligent of me! I forgot the most important part, its instant coffee. What sort of nurse am I going to make!

I should also double check to see if I’m not diabetic. Wouldn’t want to send my self hyperglycemic from the packet of sugar now!