Uniform pants

I don't really care about photography when I'm at work. I care about not getting hit by a car.

Well, we hear a lot more people in EMS complaining about us not getting positive press, like the firemonkeys and cops, than we do complaining about being run over. The number of EMS personnel run over is actually pretty darn low. It really couldn't get much lower. And there is no evidence that a half inch reflective stripe on your thigh would have prevented any of them. In fact, I think a rabbit's foot would do you more good. And you'd certainly look a lot less silly.

Go big or go home. If you truly want to be safe in traffic, then I expect you are motivated enough to put on your traffic vest or fluorescent and retroflective jacket on scene. If you're not, then get real. You don't care, and that silly stripe is going to do nothing to mitigate that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

around here the construction type vests that are reflective are required now on scene. Good move 'cause frankly I was tired of almost getting run over. I'm not convinced that the reflective stuff on pants is all that useful - kinda like the reflective badges who really notices 'em?

No worries about failure to wear appropriate kit here. I wear the high visibility vest. Puke neon green with big wide reflective strips.

I ask this because my jumpsuit has reflective striping but my uniform pants don't. for MVA's on the highway I just purchased a bright yellow parka with 2 inch reflective striping on it. For summer I will be using the standard orange construction vest.

I ask this because my jumpsuit has reflective striping but my uniform pants don't. for MVA's on the highway I just purchased a bright yellow parka with 2 inch reflective striping on it. For summer I will be using the standard orange construction vest.

Good plan. You're covered. The pants stripes are just stupid and whacker looking with no effective purpose.

That"Puke Green" actually has a name. As school buses are "School Bus Yellow Chrome" in color, that icky green is called "Fire Engine Lime Green Chrome", if you can believe it.

I have heard issues with any reflective garments, specifically, if you are bent over a patient at certain angles, the reflective striping is at such a sharp angle to overtaking headlights, no real reflectiveness happens. They won't see you until you stand up, which is when the 60 MPH car is 2 car lengths away from you.

Also, don't depend on highway flares. I'll qualify this as to my own area, New York City, where nobody seems to realize what they are. We know they are warning devices, to the infamous "Them," they are targets to be hit by the car wheels. I give a lit 1/2 hour flare a life expectancy of 5 minutes before some idiot driver hits them.

I broke down one time, and put a flare behind my ambulance. A truck driver pulled in back of me, and stepped down to ask directions, parking directly over the flare. I don't mind telling you I was screaming at the trucker, because he was driving a gasoline tanker truck!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, we wear the reflective stripe on all of our pants that were purchased after this summer. Adds a considerable expense to the pants, with what I feel, is of little value. Honestly, if the doorknob driver has not seen the flashing and blinking lights of the squad cars, fire apparatus, and ambulance, along with some of the scene illumination lighting, this one inch reflective stripe down my leg won't really help me much. The upside of this is that I am helping the uniform shop owner make a few extra bucks everytime I buy new pants. Just doing my part to share the wealth.

Yeah, we wear the reflective stripe on all of our pants that were purchased after this summer. Adds a considerable expense to the pants, with what I feel, is of little value. Honestly, if the doorknob driver has not seen the flashing and blinking lights of the squad cars, fire apparatus, and ambulance, along with some of the scene illumination lighting, this one inch reflective stripe down my leg won't really help me much. The upside of this is that I am helping the uniform shop owner make a few extra bucks everytime I buy new pants. Just doing my part to share the wealth.

the wealth? where exactly are you located? I'm moving in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.