Worried? Will Your City, County, Private, EMS Job Survive?

spenac

So do any of you worry that with the economy and the fact that EMS is not a required service that services will start closing or at least shrinking? I have seen many reports in the news around the nation of citys, countys, etc unable to pay bills. In my county they just approved an 18% tax hike, but that will not help till next year and right now they have run out of money. The services in my county are not county run but the county does contribute to keeping them open. Will the two services in my county be able to stay open w/o county help? Who knows, but it is just is one illustration of what is happening.

Keep in mind that even government agencies are unable to find financing to help them thru troubled times as well right now.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I really haven't given it too much thought. We are County based EMS and they do view it as a required service. Where I do foresee some cutbacks happening is in the FD. One FD here requested funds for a new engine and was denied. There was nothing wrong with the one they wanted to replace, it just want quite as shiny as the one the other FD had.

I suppose it's possible there could be cut backs. I know we haven't hired any more personnel in a while. We could like everyone else, use a few more Medics. I do not however, anticipate the closure of any stations, although it is always a possibility. Those decisions are above my pay grade.

Here is one example that shows why we need EMS to become a required service.

"County Ambulance Service Faces Uncertain Future

7/10/2008

The Coleman County Medical Center Board of Directors have voted unanimously to discontinue providing ambulance service October 1, 2008. However, if county residents can come together to find a solution to make the ambulance service operate on at least a break-even basis, the hospital is willing to continue offering ambulance service. Coleman County Medical Center has initiated a committee, made up of county residents, charged with the task of finding a solution to the problem. By law, the hospital is not required to provide ambulance service. You can read an Attorney General opinion on the matter by copying and pasting the following link into your browser: http://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/opinio.../htm/ga0472.htm "

They knew it was not required and they used it as leverage. It is my understanding they are still open for business though. But who knows next time they may follow through on the threat.

I may be speaking out of turn here, but my service was bought out last year by AMR. It is common knowledge around our base that we are attempting to expand early next year. We have also been hiring like mad, we even have a sign on bonus of $3000 for full time medics, $2000 for part time medics, $275/year up to 7 years experience, $3000 for going from basic to medic and varying "head hunter fees" for recruitment. I am thinking that my company is thinking that we are going to be around for a while.

Since most EMS services are fire based they should be able to survive all types of economic situations.

Really? Where did you get that idea? There are fire departments that have had major cuts as well and they are not a required service either in most areas. So now do you feel safe because your fire based?

Since most EMS services are fire based they should be able to survive all types of economic situations.
Most EMS services are not EMS based Fire suppression systems, at least the good ones aren't.

No one is immune from cuts when it comes to Gov't cost cutting. If there is a shortage of funds, they may decide they really don't need 8 FF's sitting around when 4 might suffice. Many dept's are now beginning or are already in a hiring freeze. Early retirement is being offered at some dept.'s. Coincidence? I think not.

Doom and gloom...the end is near.

History shows a "doom and gloom" outlook to be more conducive to survival than a head-in-sand (no pun intended) outlook.

Can you show us any significant trends in the last ten years that would suggest that non-fire EMS is on a stable and progressive course of growth?

yes, any private amb. in this country is hiring for medics. why is this you ask. simple we dont need millions of dollars spent on ridiculas fire equipment and pretty stations with flat panel digital screen tv's hooked up to sattelites. massive amounts of time off paid to fire gods with huge pensions and all the citizens bowing down to them thinking that these fire gods are here to save them. simply put less money on fire gods side and more money on private amb. side due to the need for more medics to treat and transport the sick and injured.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.