Have medic card, will travel

Odorono

[/font:c2cfcbbde5]

I'll start by saying hello since I've been a long time lurker but never had much to say that wasn't already said. I come for advice, since I'm another one of those new medics who wants to relocate. I've been in EMS for about 5 years now and finished medic school at an accredited, nationally recognized program in May. I returned to my old service in upstate NY to have a familiar environment to begin practicing in, but I never intended on staying.

I've been reading the posts from others looking for advice but want a bit more. I'm looking for the ideal combination of 911 volume and progressive protocols, and perhaps more importantly motivated and intelligent coworkers (at least a few). I'm an avid snowboarder, so mountain access would great as well. Been thinking aboutv Denver but I know knothing about pay or protocols. Is there anything further west that avoids the hose jockey paradigm? And what about somewhere like Albuquerque or Flagstaff?

While I generally like four seasons and lots of snow, I've also been considering NC (specifically Charlotte and Wake Co). I know Wake has great protocols, but can't find anything on Mecklenburg County.

Sorry this is so scattershot but I'm prepared to go just about anywhere in search of a decent job in a cool city. Thanks in advance.

Odorono,

I can give you a bit of information.

Medic911 out of Charlotte

Wake County EMS out of Raleigh NC

Here is the run down I can give you about:

Medic911 has to offer:

- a large call volume (LARGE).

- All the overtime you will ever need or want.

- 12 hour shifts.

- City life.

- Close proximity to the mountains (real close).

- Aggressive protocols.

- Medic/basic trucks, after you are finished riding with another medic.

You can contact Charvetta Ford-McGriff at jobs@medic911.com to find out about employment. She would be very happy to talk with you, at your convenience. I had the opportunity to talk with her and she made it clear that she welcomes any contact from possible future employees, almost any time of the day. Very nice person to talk with.

As far as protocols, I have not viewed a copy of them, but I would imagine they are similar to others in the area. I am sure they have 12 lead EKG, they do induced hypothermia for ROSC, STEMI alerts, Trauma Alerts, and all that jazz. I also believe they do EMS research. I can put it you this way, if I was to move out that way, I would probably apply to work there.

Some other things they have to offer are in house CEU's, Cadaver Lab, and simulation labs. They speak like their education program is top notch, but I cannot speak from experience.

Wake County EMS has to offer:

- Large call volume .

- All the overtime you will ever want or need.

- 12 and 24 hour shifts.

- City life.

- About 2.5-3 hrs from the mountains.

-Aggressive protocols.

- Medic/Medic and Medic/Basic trucks.

Raleigh, just may be your place. There are A LOT of good people working for Wake County EMS. They are working hard to get people and keep people. Their management may be a bit top heavy, but they seem to constantly be working to improve their EMS system. They really push for everyone in Wake County to get along and play nice, and they do!

The system has great medic protocols. For the most part, they want them used as guidelines. The medics seem to be very appreciated by receiving hospitals, and for the majority of people (most people) are intelligent. There is so much to be learned at Wake County EMS. They started Induced Hypothermia in the field, Stemi Alerts, 12 Lead EKG's, call codes on scene, Trauma/Stemi/Stroke alerts, and CPAP. They will soon be starting an Advanced Practice Paramedic. These medic will be responsible for advanced EMS practice, such as at home treatment, refusal of transport, alternate transportation modes, RSI, Induced Hypothermia, treatment for complicated cases to be left at home. These will be QRV medics who will run on the major calls and the minor calls as well as wellness checks.

The medical director is top notch. He is very dedicated to the EMS system and the performance of the system. He has a lot of respect. He is a full time EMS medical director. '

The shift work is changing. They have started moving trucks to 12 hour shifts, and people are starting to realize that 12 hour shifts are nice. They way things are going though, they are going to have to start supplementing their staff with basics or intermediates. They are trying to get people, and good people, with their growing system.

Their CEU's are in house, and they have a good program going on. They are not just for EMS education but they push for you to know the continuum of care. They do research and continually update employees on the progress they make in the field.

If you have anymore questions about these systems just ask !

Matt offers you some excellent information. Another service you may want to consider is http://www.fcems.com/index.htm located in Winston-Salem, Forsyth County NC. Very high educational standards and you have to obtain NR to work there. Although the starting salary doesn't look to inviting, If I was to relocate from where I am in NC, this is where I would go.

Good luck in your search. Come to NC, we'd love to have ya' here.

In Northern Colorado you have Weld County EMS, Thompson Valley EMS and Poudre Valley Hospital as your 911 choices. In Denver you have Denver Health, West Metro, Rural Metro, Pridemark, Northglenn and South Metro.

PM me if you wish links to any of the above. Out of this list, I'd recommend PVH, TVEMS, Weld County and Pridemark... and living in either Denver, Loveland, Greeley or Fort Collins gives you good mountains access and so forth. It's part of why I like living in Northern CO so well... have never skied, but the other parts of mountain stuff are good! :D But I know many people who ski and snowboard frequently.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Is North Carolina requiring the degree for medics yet, or is that still coming down the pike?

I think it is still down the pike, as you say. I know for the Level II instructors you have to have at a minimum associates degree, so maybe that means the ball is rolling. I have not heard that associates degree will be a requirement by any certain date. Too bad though, I wish it would hurry up and get here !

For the short time I lived in northern MI, I was impressed by some of the EMS systems up there.

Really... Which ones? I grew up in mid-Michigan and would love to be back in-state but haven't found anything that either pays well enough or is a place I'd like to work at. Are you talking UP or northern LP? And what about these services impressed you?

Really... Which ones? I grew up in mid-Michigan and would love to be back in-state but haven't found anything that either pays well enough or is a place I'd like to work at. Are you talking UP or northern LP? And what about these services impressed you?

I was in Houghton Lake (Rosscommon Twp). The hosp. out of Grayling seemed OK. Met a few guys from Traverse City. At the time that's where it seemed like things were happening.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.