What is it?

letmesleep

I have been here (EMTcity) for a short time compared to some, but it doesn't take long to realize that there are those of us here that are pissed about the way our career is run, or lack there of. We as a whole are irritated with the lack of recognition, the lack of trust from our med directions, lack of pay and benefits, so on and so forth. It doesn't take much time searching thru the forums of EMTcity to notice the on going pain that we all suffer while doing this job called EMS. We come here for different reasons, but with a common goal, and that is to try to make change. If you look around the job markets, how often do you see other "professionals" push for change within their field? I'm not talking about those in medicine, because WE are in medicine. So, what is it?

What is it that makes us get up every morning, afternoon, evening and go to work?

What is it that keeps us going in this job (our own little hell) when we demand so much change?

What is it that makes us care?

What is it that keeps us here (in EMS) for 10,20,30+ years?

What is it (for those with 10+years in) that has ahold of you, and keeps you going when you see a decline in EMS instead of things getting better?

We go to work at our various times of the day, work ungodly amounts of hours in hellish type environments, care for those people that we serve, take home the little ass paycheck, get on the computer and post messages to each other about how the job could be better.

Think about it, how often do we tell newbies how wonderful the job is? How many times have you said to someone thinking about getting in to this profession that the pay and benefits are great and push them in to the next open EMT class? Sure we help each other out once they are in, but do we say to our brothers and sisters that "EMS is the place to be"?

So my question is, WHAT IS IT..............................?

After 10 years I honestly couldn't imagine having any other job.

No desire to move on to RN, MD, PA.

Paramedic suits me just fine.

I really don't know what it is.

Out of 100 calls there are just a hand full that without me and my partners intervention the person would have died or had some disabling outcome. Granted being over here in the sand is completely different, but in the states many times I was cleaning up the the ambulance and without saying much me and my partner knew we actually made a difference.

It's all about compassion and customer service, whether it be making a sandwich for some elderly diabetic, or bringing a child a helmet post injury after he recovers from a mild head injury for not wearing one.

It's a great feeling when someone walks into the station and thanks you.

It is rare, but it makes all those other bogus calls worth while.

Think about it, how often do we tell newbies how wonderful the job is? How many times have you said to someone thinking about getting in to this profession that the pay and benefits are great and push them in to the next open EMT class? Sure we help each other out once they are in, but do we say to our brothers and sisters that "EMS is the place to be"?

No. Never. None of the above quote applies to me, nor has it ever. In fact, I think if fewer people were so gung-ho about trying to recruit people to this field, we'd be better off. If you think seriously, intelligently, and informedly about it, there really is no way to make EMS sound like a wonderful career choice without lying your arse off. If you list the positives against a list of the negatives, you'll see what I mean. You can't come up with half a dozen positives, but I can come up with a dozen pages of negatives. And those who are actually happy in EMS suffer from one or more of the following flaws:

• 1. New to the field

2. Ignorant of reality

3. Too stupid to know better

4. An immature whacker

5. Have zero other career options

6. Too lazy to look for another job

7. A naive optimist

• So really, any attempts to recruit a new and better generation to our profession are futile. Those who have the character to really make a difference in our profession are not the kind of people who are attracted to it in the first place. When a truly promising candidate asks me about EMS, I cannot in good conscience steer him or her towards our field, because unless they really end up happy here, they won't stay long enough to make a difference anyhow. Even those exceptionally intelligent and well educated people we get are usually too self-focused to be of any long term help to the profession. I don't fault them for that. They've got families to provide for. But it results in them moving on long before they ever consider becoming a force for change in EMS.

Once someone is self-determined to join EMS, I will give them the best possible advice on making the most of it, and becoming the best possible medic they can be. But no, you won't ever catch me making any attempt whatsoever to recruit someone to this profession. We have no problem attracting people. We have a problem attracting the RIGHT people, and keeping them. The ones that want in will do so without my help. The ones that need a sales pitch to come in aren't the ones who will be happy here.

Once someone is self-determined to join EMS, I will give them the best possible advice on making the most of it, and becoming the best possible medic they can be. But no, you won't ever catch me making any attempt whatsoever to recruit someone to this profession. We have no problem attracting people. We have a problem attracting the RIGHT people, and keeping them. The ones that want in will do so without my help. The ones that need a sales pitch to come in aren't the ones who will be happy here.

=D> =D> =D>

Convincing these people that they have a say in the future of EMS is very difficult..As educated as most good paramedics are, they do not want to put the additional effort to change things for the better..most of them anyhow......

Their effort is instead put to changing direction in their own career paths..good for them, bad for the system..

If you look around the job markets, how often do you see other "professionals" push for change within their field?

professions change their operational strategies all the time..it prevents stagnation and extinction from the marketplace. It would seem one of the few 'professions' that does not accept change well is EMS..is this pride, complacency, or pure stupidity :shock:

Self analysis and criticism is not an option for most in this industry...the ego will not allow it..

at any rate, this is IMHO and nothing more :wink:

P.S. I have NEVER told ANYONE how wonderful the job is...even though I do enjoy it so 8)

We do not need your negativity.

What is this "we" crap? You aren't even working in this country.

And what is "negative" about trying to help people avoid serious career mistakes? Do you think that misleading them into believing that this is a respected, well paying, well educated profession with lots of long term career options is somehow more honourable?

Would you play an active part in recruiting paramedics in the Australian EMS system?

Respect – Voted Australia's number one trusted profession 2007

Pay – Ok I guess, enough to live comfortably on.

Education – 3 year degree as base line entry.

Career Options – Quiet a few post graduate areas and in service training options which encumber your clinical skills or leadership/management skills.

Yet we still seem to have a nation wide shortage?

Australia needs you!

Would you play an active part in recruiting paramedics in the Australian EMS system?

Respect – Voted Australia's number one trusted profession 2007

Pay – Ok I guess, enough to live comfortably on.

Education – 3 year degree as base line entry.

Career Options – Quiet a few post graduate areas and in service training options which encumber your clinical skills or leadership/management skills.

Yet we still seem to have a nation wide shortage?

Australia needs you!

What are the immigration requirements to go down under?

I would have no idea lol... Google might help...

I didn't say anything about the conditions! Some places are so understaffed that you work a lot of overtime, might work one up, have a backdraft of calls, on your days off your still on call and have an ambulance sitting in your front yard ect. Hell! Some places even send student paramedics, one up to Code 1 calls. Or you might have to catch a taxi to a to your next cardiac arrest... But over time pay pretty well.